first pull

beach_33

Feb 18, 2008
des moines, IA
well i had my first sled pull today and it went pretty well i think. i finished third in the stock class but they made me pull at the pro weight because i didnt have a kill switch or some of the other things required. pull was 278. i think i could have done better if the tranny hadnt upshifted to 3rd. eemed like it really bogged the motor down. i am pretty sure if i had stayed in second i could have done a full pull. i do have some questions though about launching and other things so feed back would be great

Chris611

Jul 14, 2007
Knoxville, Iowa
I think you did a good job for your first pull. Seeing your truck, you certainly have a truck that has the power for pulling. Technique plays a big role just like in drag racing, which it sounds like you have a good handle on. I would think that your truck could definitely hold 3rd gear. I have less power than you and I use 4-Lo, set the shift lever in "3" and Tow/Haul. I will get to 3rd gear by probably the 100' mark and the truck stays in 3rd. I will usually spin out in 3rd gear depending on the track.

Later
Chris

05smoker

I'm officially done!
Mar 30, 2007
Lebanon, OH
Good job for the first time out. You definitely want to use 3rd gear for your power level. A stock charger truck should be hanging 3rd everytime no problem so you definitely should with a Cheetah.

beach_33

Feb 18, 2008
des moines, IA
i dont think i would have a problem with third if i would of had it in towhaul. i purposely kept it out of tow because it has been acting funny and giving me a 732 code but it only seems to do it in tow. i am going to continue to pull with it. i have a new tcm tune to put in that has higher shift points. it should be going to indy some time soon. my power level is not as good as it should be for what i have. i had acctually dynoed earlier that day and i put down 502 hp and 897 tq if i remember right. it should be higer though i have been having problems on the top end so me and larry are working on it :hug:

SteveFord

What's Next?
May 8, 2008
Iowa
Congrats on your first time pulling. Also congrats on keeping the highest power at the Area Diesel dyno day.

beach_33

Feb 18, 2008
des moines, IA
thanks man i did think it would stand. my tunning was crap and it kept falling apart at the top of the run. you missed it earlier in the day my truck fried the dyno. something to do with static discharge from my tires. i didnt get a chance to log any of my runs the guy would give me time to set it up. he didnt even want to let me lock it in to gear. he kept saying i have done thousands of these i will get it. and sure enough it kept downshifting. finally he let me up there to lock it n gear. i will dyno again when i take back over to indy. should be around 560 or 570 with a little help from some friends :hug:. :D

SteveFord

What's Next?
May 8, 2008
Iowa
I'm sure you'll get that thing figured out. When I heared your numbers I knew you was about 50-70hp low from what your capable of making. Sucked I didn't get back in time from Branson to atleast see some stuff. There is a pull in Indainola I belive on July 21st. A friend of mine that pulls in some modded lawn mower tractor pulls wants us Chevy guys to come there and shut up the Dodge boys. If I get my tranny work done by then and my fprv shimmed I'm gonna try to make it. We should all go down and pull being that would be my first time.

beach_33

Feb 18, 2008
des moines, IA
forshore . i think that is one of my scheduled pulls for the midwest pullers association that i joined. i have another pull this friday in manson