LML First Dyno Session. Disappointed.

FROGMAN524

Jul 17, 2010
So I’ve never been on a Dyno before and I got the following results as show in this picture below. The place I went wouldn’t let me back to their climate controlled Dyno room to film the session and I don’t know what gear it was run in though I told them to put it in 4th for the 1:1 ratio. Mods are in my signature. Tuck was run in the race tune. The whole reason I got the Dyno now is that next week the truck is going into the shop for a the following list of stuff to be done and I want to do another run at the same place after mods to see what I lost or gained. Also, I just got my new LSP5 switch and new “built trans” tunes from MotorOps that take into account the new 4.11 gears and 35” tires. I will install the switch this weekend before it goes in to the shop and load the new tunes before I leave. What are your thoughts?

296c3c04db7faef51c1ff70c33d784c2.jpg

Lift:

Cognito 4-6 Lift Kit set at 5” with 2” block
PISK Kit
PPE Tie Rods
King 2.5 reservoir shocks
Trail Ready 17x8.5 Beadlocks/World Series blue rock rings and satin black wheel.
35x12.50R17 Toto MTs
Cognito Front driveline
Yukon 4.11 gears front and back
Air Lift 5000Ultimate Wireless air bags with compressor
AMP Gas Model Steps

New shocks pictured below:

3497ab334024e19a829afb6497e445fe.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DAVe3283

Heavy & Slow
Sep 3, 2009
Boise, ID, USA
It sounds like you're running stock transmission safe tuning? If so, 480 HP is a pretty good result. If I misunderstood and that was on built trans max effort tuning, it does seem a bit lower than I would expect.

As I recall, Idaho Rob cracked 500 HP with the full exhaust emissions in place back in 2015. So with a full delete, you should be seeing more than 500. I am not sure how much more you can expect on the stock turbo, but I wouldn't think it would do much more than 600.

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
Looks to me like it might have down shifted or unlocked the converter on the dyno.

FROGMAN524

Jul 17, 2010
Current tunes are for stock trans. New tunes I haven’t loaded yet are for built trans but I will have different tires and gears and I am going to try a super flow dyno down in Gilbert next time.

I was expecting 520HP+ and 1,000FtLbs+ but I didn’t get to 500 or 900. Next time I’ll make sure it’s run in TH and manual mode to keep the converter locked and the trans in 4th gear.

IdahoRob

Jun 5, 2007
Stock trans tuning at 480 RWHP is more than i would expect. Your expectations are not reasonable. Built trans tuning with your current mods would be more in the 500-520HP range.

My LML was 536HP with lift pump, intake, down pipe. The injection pump is max'd out there.

Use the dyno like the tool it is. They are all different, i recommend having the same operator make the next runs after you mods exactly the same way as last time. Then you will get the data that i believe you are looking for, before and after.

Dyno's are tools, not something that should affect emotions.

FROGMAN524

Jul 17, 2010
Alright thanks for the insight. We’ll see what happens after the posted mods in a week or two. I’ll take it back to the same place so I can compare apples to apples.

cdbright

JUST RENT IT
Dec 16, 2008
Salt Lake City, UT
and post some pics of this baby after the lift. I am wanting to lift mine as well and need a little bad influence to push me along:woott::woott:

FROGMAN524

Jul 17, 2010
Tires and trail ready wheels showed up today but the rock rings were the wrong color so I won’t have those until next Friday.

068e50475b6a1810894ece81ac470f52.jpg

3e8534587ed36561548a41d382998a40.jpg

a2f643827dd50375bedb27271d7de202.jpg

Last edited:

PACougar

Jun 27, 2012
El Dorado Hills, Ca
The only reason I like dynoing other people's cars is to hurt their feelings :roflmao:

It looks like it's making pretty reasonable power for your mods.

FROGMAN524

Jul 17, 2010
Next things power wise planned are:

Danville 63.5 VGT
Exergy 12MM CP3
Exergy 100% injectors
PPE Manifolds
PPE Up-Pipes
SDP 3” Downpipe w/3-Bolt Flange
SDP Cold/Hot Pipes
SDP Y Bridge
Banks Technicooler

Going big with fuel so I can throw a 2nd turbo on and internals in the future and leave fuel alone.

FROGMAN524

Jul 17, 2010
Truck is at the shop! Ended up also deciding to install Rigid D Series Pro SAE approved Fog lights in the front and Rigid D Series Pro Marine Flush mounts in the rear bumper as well as AMP bed steps on both sides of the truck. The truck has been at the shop for 3.5 hours and they've already called to tell me that they are having clearance issues with my 5" exhaust and the air ride bags. Any thoughts on this?

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
oh those tires/wheels are going to look goooooood on there. like said earlier, dont get infatuated with a dyno number. Running the track will probably lead in dissapointment too as the LML have a hard hard time backing up their dyno numbers on stock trans. get the built trans in and then go have fun. really i wouldnt even dyno the thing till after the built trans.

btw, imho, save the money on the PPE manifolds/up pipes. you gotta be pushing really high drive pressures to take advantage of them and with where you are headed, i doubt that will be a problem. they will just slow your spool up time a bit.

FROGMAN524

Jul 17, 2010
oh those tires/wheels are going to look goooooood on there. like said earlier, dont get infatuated with a dyno number. Running the track will probably lead in dissapointment too as the LML have a hard hard time backing up their dyno numbers on stock trans. get the built trans in and then go have fun. really i wouldnt even dyno the thing till after the built trans.

btw, imho, save the money on the PPE manifolds/up pipes. you gotta be pushing really high drive pressures to take advantage of them and with where you are headed, i doubt that will be a problem. they will just slow your spool up time a bit.

Actually I’ve had a Mike L trans in it since April. Put about 10,000 miles on it since and it’s been rock solid but never updated my tunes for the built trans until now. Check my signature for details about what’s inside it.

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
Actually I’ve had a Mike L trans in it since April. Put about 10,000 miles on it since and it’s been rock solid but never updated my tunes for the built trans until now. Check my signature for details about what’s inside it.

Oooohhh then that’s good!! Might be why it’s making more power even though those are “trans safe tunes”

FROGMAN524

Jul 17, 2010
Now I’m having the shop throw on a Royalty Core RC1 classic black mesh grille and a Rigid E series Pro 30” straight Spot Driving combo behind it.

Jacy_dzlguy

lots to learn...
Aug 27, 2011
South Florida
Truck is at the shop! Ended up also deciding to install Rigid D Series Pro SAE approved Fog lights in the front and Rigid D Series Pro Marine Flush mounts in the rear bumper as well as AMP bed steps on both sides of the truck. The truck has been at the shop for 3.5 hours and they've already called to tell me that they are having clearance issues with my 5" exhaust and the air ride bags. Any thoughts on this?

Are these mounted in the stock bumpers?