First day at the track

dmaxtruck

Perfect Sleeper
Jan 22, 2008
I got there late (wife's fault...), it's Easter and the first day of points racing at my local track so there's only a billion people there or so. I go over to tech and then up to the stands to watch a few runs and figure out how the whole thing works. They eventually call my class at 1 and I get in line... I'm the only diesel that's at the track (even most of the toy haulers are gassers:eek:).

The line moves fairly quickly, I finally get to the front of it and I'm running everything through my head about the staging lights, leaving on the last amber etc, a million things going through my head, just as I leave the line and head to the burnout box another tech stops me and yells at me to put my seatbelt on... I look down and its already on! So now I get up to the box and do my burnout and I've already forgotten everything I had been thinking about for an hour :rofl: The other guy already had both bulbs lit, so I'm rushed and light both of mine before I'm ready, hit the throttle too much and walked through the brakes (and the start) at the middle amber and get the red light! :eek:

Three hours later they call my class and I'm still fuming mad and embarrassed as hell. I line up next to a camaro, shift gears while burning out, I'm in the right lane and the stands are on my passenger (exhaust) side, and I end up smoking the fans out and beating the camaro. :)

R/T .242
60' 2.117
330 5.800
1/8 8.588
MPH 80.24
1000 11.511
1/4 13.759
MPH 100.11

Beneath that the stuff at the bottom is all Greek to me, it says Right 1st 5.7396 Left MOV 5.8606

Now I just want to go faster though :p

dmaxtruck

Perfect Sleeper
Jan 22, 2008
Forgot to mention I had switched over to the stock tires and rims... next time I'm going to see what the 285/65/18 aluminum rims with BFG ATs will run

dmaxtruck

Perfect Sleeper
Jan 22, 2008
Yeah first time ever... well, 1:49 was my first time ever.

I ran a 29 sec :rofl: run at 60 mph cause I was pissed I messed up the start and I didn't know it was ok to just hammer it and make the best of it. I ran again at 4:23 and that was the run above.

dmaxtruck

Perfect Sleeper
Jan 22, 2008
burnout with 4wd?:confused:

Nice run especially with a CC, you can surely get way loser in the 13's next time you go.

Nah didn't burn out in 4wd, just the brakes wouldn't hold her and she was jerking/crawling and I got the red light.

I had my stock pizza-cutter tires and rims on it as I figured they weighed a lot less and I might be able to pick up some time. Had them aired down to 35 from 80, but no matter how you slice it, a 245 is just not the same as the 285s. :eek:

Thanks Kat. I'll be getting back out there when they start doing Test N Tunes in a couple weeks. Three hours was just waaaaaaaay too much time between runs to get any kind of decent practice lol.

othrgrl

Diesel Addiction Owner
Mar 10, 2008
Wilmington NC
www.mydieseladdiction.com
Congrats, if I make it out this sunday it will be my first time at the track in my truck and I can't wait. I'm aiming for 12s but we'll see, this new trans and 1058 is gonna take some getting used to and I'm sure my hottest tune needs some work.

cbacon91

Deadhead
Jul 20, 2007
MO
oh yeah almost forgot, "has" or "is" anybody else suffering from the "fttd syndrome" lol (First Time at the Track Daze Syndrome) this is when you start staging and all you can do is grip the steering wheel, your foot starts pushing down the pedal you can't hear anything, the lights seem to be 10 miles away, you can't hardly tell what color they are, your gauges all read 100mph and the only thing you remember is "green" means go? lol lol

i think i smell a little bit of "fttd syndrome" glad i wasn't the only one as long as you had fun, makes it all worth it

Know exactly what that feels like did the same thing a couple weeks ago, "walking through the brakes and getting the red light"

good effort and yes its gets easier

dmaxtruck

Perfect Sleeper
Jan 22, 2008
Fttd syndrome is a good name for it. I felt like an NBA rookie shooting a freethrow, where there's about a billion of the OTHER team's fans behind the clear backboard jumping, waving, shouting, and distracting you from trying to make your shot.

Not only that, but the lightbulbs seemed like they were the size of dimes. I always figured the lights were going to be the size of my computer monitor :p

The only thing that helped me was the 3 hours I had to just sit and stew while fuming mad and embarrased at my first run. By the time I got to the line I was so pissed I stayed in my burnout until 2nd gear, may have even shifted into third by then. I basically said F*$& everything else, that tree is the only thing on this entire F*#&ING planet. Not paying attention to your surroundings when you're on a 7,000 lb piece of machinery with 400+ hp is probably not a good habit to get in, but I was happy with this particular result. :D

And YES I"M ADDICTED NOW

Attachments

• l_328a9fd70e572010fca3032b37c6a598.jpg
    l_328a9fd70e572010fca3032b37c6a598.jpg
    41.3 KB · Views: 8