Finger's vanes

Matt750

On a Time Out
Apr 29, 2012
I've heard a lot about these for my stock LBZ VVT, anyone know where I can get em? Sent a PM to Fingers, but I don't know how often he gets on here. Stock turbo is getting a rebuild, hot side heat coat, and batmowheel. Looking to build this thing as best and reliable as possible. Not interested in aftermarket turbos. Thanks for any input guys.

Dirtymaxx03

Aug 4, 2009
I've heard a lot about these for my stock LBZ VVT, anyone know where I can get em? Sent a PM to Fingers, but I don't know how often he gets on here. Stock turbo is getting a rebuild, hot side heat coat, and batmowheel. Looking to build this thing as best and reliable as possible. Not interested in aftermarket turbos. Thanks for any input guys.

:thumb:
just wait for him to respond

Matt750

On a Time Out
Apr 29, 2012
Thanks guys, Fingers messaged me.

Anyone running his vanes in your stock LBZ turbo? What are you noticing vs stock vanes? Did they perform better than stock with out tuning? Would like some input so I don't feel like its a shot in the dark. Thanks my duramax brethren. -Matt

minisub

6-5/6-6;Whatever It Takes
Sep 11, 2006
Cleveland, OH
Matt, I have one of the first sets, have had them for at least 3 years and just over 30k miles. I am almost positive they have been revised since the profile I have. My only issue with them was lag in 50mph foot stomp situations (like passing on a 2 lane). Tuning easily fixed this and I have no complaints. I am not sure that expecting a hard part that deviates from what the stock ECM is expecting and having it perform the same or better is completely reasonable. With tuning, they are a better than stock option.

x MadMAX DIESEL

<<<< No Horsepower
Dec 30, 2008
Lexington, Ky
How much position do you need to run with these to hold around 33-35 psi? mine right now takes about to 30 get that kinda boost on average wot. I saw llys normally run 40 percent though, and lbzs 15-20

Fingers

Village Idiot
Vendor/Sponsor
Apr 1, 2008
White Oak, PA
Vane position is the wrong metric. You need to look at back pressure. Finger vanes only separate themselves at high flow.

Odyssey25013

DF Regect
Nov 9, 2010
CT
I love mine. My max effort tune can only get to 55psi drive to get to 35psi boost then they open to give me 40psi drive and 35psi boost. Stock vanes were MUCH HIGHER drive pressures.

Matt750

On a Time Out
Apr 29, 2012
Thanks for the input guys, sorry Fingers if I created a monster.

I am familiar with NA motorcycle and car motors, and well versed in forced induction dynamics, but not so much in VVT tech. I like the VVT's dynamic boost regulation vs the more direct approach of a waste gate.

Minisub you make a point that I should address, I am more curious as to whether or not I can run these vanes untuned without over boosting my motor? I fully expect fine tuning would bring out its best, but how much of a driveability issue would I see untuned? I am looking to achieve a reliable, long lasting 1000ft/lbs or so. EFI live is in the works, but I am still recovering from the laundry list of parts and services required on my "big upgrade".

Aside from the hot side heat coat and batmowheel, my list includes: extrude honed AFE blade runner, banks (it was cheapest, go fig) IC hot side tube, all season diesel's super hi flow kit w/ out grid heater, heat coated PPE race manifolds and up pipes, heat coated down pipe, turbo rebuild (peace of mind is priceless), egr removal and pcv re-route. Already installed is a volant CAI, and 4" stainless silverline turbo back exhaust. I just pulled the turbo and installed the new intake bridge over the weekend, and the batmowheel showed today, so I have to make a quick decision on the vanes.

Anyone who has done anything like this with the motor in, pat yourself on the back, you deserve another beer right now. I was able to remove stock downpipe and both up pipes through the passenger side wheel well with the liner and wheel dismounted. Driver side wheel well liner had to be removed as well to reach up pipe fasteners at exhaust manifold. It can be done without going to extremes, you just need patience, a bad ass ratcheting breaker bar, and a frosty
six pack on hand.

Thanks again for the input guys, keep it coming, I need to make a decision on these vanes before I can do the turbo rebuild/upgrade.

-Matt

minisub

6-5/6-6;Whatever It Takes
Sep 11, 2006
Cleveland, OH
Matt, created a storm? You really are new. ;)

Over boost will not be an issue. Driveability? Not an issue, just different perhaps.

Fingers

Village Idiot
Vendor/Sponsor
Apr 1, 2008
White Oak, PA
These ship tomorrow.

attachment.php

Last edited: