Finding my drag truck

2004LB7

Dec 15, 2010
Norcal
Some of you may remember from the other monthly thread that I am looking for an older Duramax truck for my play toy/DD that I'd like to use for some drag racing fun. I was hoping for an LLY so I could also use it as a test bed for FICM repairs. Or a federal / tier 1 LB7. I would prefer a GMC style front end as I don't care for the Chevy "cat eye" look. But not picky if the price is right as I could probably swap over the front end parts if needed.

As in the other thread, I found an 01 LB7 that looked to have some mods already. Sounded like the seller was willing to let it go for $5k. Was willing to go for it as long as the test drive went well. But he hasn't responded after the initial visit. Not sure what's going on

Then there is this one that is listed as an 05. So possiblity an LLY. Seller stats it needs some engine work and it hasn't been registered for some time. Which might mean so back fees. But it's only $1500. Haven't heard back if it is a 4wd and what "engine work" is needed yet

The other item is it's a cab n chassis with a flat bed. Of course I'd get rid of the bed. And maybe bob the frame. Wondering about trying my hand at making a tube type truck bed.

Kinda like one of these
bed finished side.jpg
M6vS5aN.jpg

I think it would lighten it up quite a lot

Which one would you guys pick assuming the sellers respond. The 01 Would probably be easier to get going right off and could start driving it much sooner. But the 05 would have the better injectors that are easier to replace. Has the LLY FICM that could come in handy for repairs or testing. And is much cheaper. But requires a lot more work to get where I'd want it and the back registration fees are unknown yet along with whatever is needed on the engine

Weight in your thoughts please

2004LB7

Dec 15, 2010
Norcal
Is that 05 wrecked up front? Hard to tell. Of those two, I'd go for the 01, less work up front to get it going probably. That 05 dually just screams "part me out". Maybe buy both and steal the LLY top end for the 01!
That's not a bad idea.

1FastBrick

Dec 1, 2016
Junkyard
The 05 is damaged in the front. The fenders are pushed back into the door. My self I am not scared of it but I would want to know what the back fees are and what engine work is required. Other then that if your going to make a "race truck" out of it Who cares...

You can usually mitigate the backfee's if you do a lein on it.

TheBac

Why do I keep doing this?
Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
Is that 05 wrecked up front? Hard to tell. Of those two, I'd go for the 01, less work up front to get it going probably. That 05 dually just screams "part me out". Maybe buy both and steal the LLY top end for the 01!
If you could get that 01 for a lot less, this is the way Id go, esp if you have time on your side.

2004LB7

Dec 15, 2010
Norcal
If you could get that 01 for a lot less, this is the way Id go, esp if you have time on your side.
Seller for the 01 agreed to $5k when I first went out to see it. Now he is either ghosting me or died because he won't answer his phone or Facebook message. The 01 would be a lot easier to get up and running. But the 05 is quite a bit cheaper initially but may take more to get it going. I do have time but not a lot of space. So whatever I can do in my driveway. Which leans me more towards the 01

2004LB7

Dec 15, 2010
Norcal
Bumping this back up. No one on Facebook marketplace will answer their ads. Seems stupid to post something for sale then ignore the interested buyers. If it's sold then take down the listing. Craigslist is dry too. Not very many Duramax's on it that are priced low enough

So, if anyone here has or knows of a regular cab Duramax. Either a federal/tier 1 emissions LB7 or an LLY for $10k or less that would be good to hack up and convert into a light weight daily driver and drag worthy truck please let me know. I'll even consider cab n chassis. Doesn't need to be real clean but would be nice if the cab was in decent condition and not all dinged up. Minor dents are no big deal. Even little rust spots I can handle. Preferably something I can drive home on day one but I will entertain ones that need some engine work if the price is right.

Let me know what you guys have out there

2004LB7

Dec 15, 2010
Norcal
Thanks. Very promising, except for I think they are all 2wd. Hard to tell though. Forgot to mention it above as a requirement.

The 2006 would be nice but doesn't help me in my justification of "needing an FICM powered truck" to work on testing and repair of future FICM's or possibly building a new one. Got to explain to my family why there is another old truck in my driveway 😁

1FastBrick

Dec 1, 2016
Junkyard
I dont know it the company is still around that did those but the idea was that was supposed to be a compromise between a full contractor bed and the original so that you could still have bed space similar to the factory bed. I haven't seen one up close though to know. I can't recall the company but I believe it was an option that a dealer could have installed. Maybe its in the sales literature some where?

2004LB7

Dec 15, 2010
Norcal
So that guy did respond. Said I can come look at it tomorrow morning. I'm not too thrilled about the interior already being torn apart. Even though I'll probably do something similar myself. But for the price you would think it would be together.

If everything looks good and it checks out, I think I'll offer $5k cash and see what he says. Not sure what I'll do with the California EGR system as those things are a pain in the rear to keep alive and happy for a smog inspection. The vacuum pump alone is it's own set of problems. Would rather not have one but California....

I'm not dead set on this one as I would much rather have a federal but finding one in California is going to be harder. May need to extend my search distance

TheBac

Why do I keep doing this?
Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
So why arent you looking in Ari or NM or Nev and go on a road trip?

You could sell that bed for some bucks back or trade it for the proper bed.

Just noticed how far he cut the front bumper and valence to fit those tires, too.

2004LB7

Dec 15, 2010
Norcal
So why arent you looking in Ari or NM or Nev and go on a road trip?

You could sell that bed for some bucks back or trade it for the proper bed.

Just noticed how far he cut the front bumper and valence to fit those tires, too.
That's what I need to do.

1FastBrick

Dec 1, 2016
Junkyard
If you look at the truck, See if there is a MFG Tag on the bed.

This was all I could find. Kind of gives you an idea of the space.

Optional bed.jpgOptional bed 2.jpgOptional bed 3.jpg

2004LB7

Dec 15, 2010
Norcal
If you look at the truck, See if there is a MFG Tag on the bed.

This was all I could find. Kind of gives you an idea of the space.

View attachment 116639View attachment 116640View attachment 116641
Very interesting. Looks like it keeps most of the bed free. Obviously that means the boxes are a little small. Would be great for a different project. If I picked up that truck I'd probably sell the bed and look for a regular one. Maybe even a short bed and modify the frame for it. Or go with a tube style bed. I'd probably offer the bed here for free for any of our members just to get it off my hands quicker