ficm relocate

dracing70

SH--- GETTING EXPENSIVE!
Jun 12, 2007
mantua, oh
ok so i have read a half dozen threads about this. Most are older so i was wondering how the relocations and dry runs have held up? Any problems with running them dry???

chevyburnout1

Fixing it till it breaks
Aug 25, 2008
Berthoud, CO
About 20K miles with mine located under the engine with hot return line fuel running through it. Plan on running it dry with this new build.

DAVe3283

Heavy & Slow
Sep 3, 2009
Boise, ID, USA
Has anyone run one dry in the factory location? Does it actually get too hot there?

Or do we need a guinea pig? I have a build on the horizon, and I'm willing to risk my FICM, for science!

Evan@InglewoodTrans

yerp
Vendor/Sponsor
Aug 5, 2010
Western MA
Has anyone run one dry in the factory location? Does it actually get too hot there?

Or do we need a guinea pig? I have a build on the horizon, and I'm willing to risk my FICM, for science!

We have a few daily drivers running around with the FICM dry in the stock location with no issues.

dracing70

SH--- GETTING EXPENSIVE!
Jun 12, 2007
mantua, oh
im gonna move mine between my electric fan and the radiator up front . should clean things up and keep it cool. besides being in the way i think with my remote turbo it is heating up too much and causing high fuel temp codes.

WisconsinHick1

Mar 11, 2009
Minnesota
Can it be moved to underneath the second battery tray without extending the wires? Mine is dry on the top of the motor but I want to move it off the motor to help clean it up a little.

DAVe3283

Heavy & Slow
Sep 3, 2009
Boise, ID, USA
Forgive me but can someone explain the reasoning for relocating/ running it dry?
In my case, I want to run mine dry since I will be going to dual CP3s, and that is a lot of fuel to push through the small, contorted factory lines. Also, since I have deleted my factory fuel filter, there is no reason for fuel to run to that side of the engine. Running it dry allows me to simplify the fuel routing a LOT, which makes the engine look better (IMO), and easier to work on.

Also, the FICM is known to have problems at high fuel pressures (it was designed for vacuum). Mainly it starts leaking, and can potentially crack the circuit board inside.

Initially, everyone thought that since GM cooled the FICM with fuel, it must get very hot. Plus, being on the valvecover simply soaks more heat into it from the engine. So, some people run a dedicated cooling loop (avoiding the fuel restriction). Other people relocate it off the engine to keep it cool.

It now appears that the engine heat isn't too much for the FICM, and you can just run it dry in the stock location. This is what I plan to do, so I don't have to extend injector wires.

Often (especially when the tank is almost empty), the fuel temperature can be quite high, so there is some doubt that the fuel is actually cooling it at all. Many people have been running their FICM dry, and they don't appear to overheat. So it appears GM was simply overkill when they "cooled" it with the fuel.

Balindir

Rod shortning in progress
Jul 30, 2012
South Central, Pa
So basically if your running a air-dog, or have a need to relocate fuel lines for say duel fuelers, you should bypass the ficm. Makes sense to me.