February '23 Chat -- "Love the truck you're with"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dozerboy

Jun 23, 2009
TX of course
Almost all the pictures on my phone are from work. I do happen to take a few every once in a while of family. Mostly because my parents are a thousand miles away.

I do try and slow down, but I can't sit still. I'm always going. Sitting and enjoying the fire and smores every Saturday night with my family is about all I can do.

I took my little girl to the Supercross races this weekend. She was done in about 2 hours which was good because I was too. And we are kind of goofing around most of the time we are there anyways not really watching the races.

Fall comes late here it TX about a week before spring. Had to make a leaf pile for my little girl to play in.

Attachments

• 20230206_135258.jpg
    20230206_135258.jpg
    639 KB · Views: 16
Reactions: Pure Diesel

2004LB7

Dec 15, 2010
Norcal
Almost all the pictures on my phone are from work. I do happen to take a few every once in a while of family. Mostly because my parents are a thousand miles away.

I do try and slow down, but I can't sit still. I'm always going. Sitting and enjoying the fire and smores every Saturday night with my family is about all I can do.

I took my little girl to the Supercross races this weekend. She was done in about 2 hours which was good because I was too. And we are kind of goofing around most of the time we are there anyways not really watching the races.

Fall comes late here it TX about a week before spring. Had to make a leaf pile for my little girl to play in.
I'd say at this point in life there is no point in slowing down. Those memories are priceless and can't be replaced with more time

TheBac

Why do I keep doing this?
Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
I take pics all the time. The bear is transferring them from my phone to my computer.

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
so ver the last week, ive been moving a new/old mill and lathe into the shop. i had an old 1972 rockwell 10" lathe that did me well for 4-5 years now but diameter of an item has always been an issue for me. Buddy of mine posted up he had a 17" TUE Andrychow lathe and a Lagun ftv-1 mill for sale. Him and i worked out a deal neither of us could pass up lol.

Last week i got them moved over to my shop on my flatbed thats pretty much shot lol. somehow, the boards did not blow out. Got them off the trailer with the 2 post since my tractor didnt have enough weight on the ass end to lift them. No way it would do the lathe anyhow, that thing is nearly 5k lbs. Used a combo of the lift, engine hoist, hf car dollys, and a prybar to get things moved around

HF car dollys ftw!

1675967723473.png

1675967785413.png

1675967797897.png

Then spent the evenings monday, tuesday, wednesday cleaning. Things were nasty from where ever they were stored. Lathe is about 1/3 done and mill is about 90%. i spent alot of time yesterday tearing the mill down to clean up the ways, saddle and table so no oil and crud would screw up the ways. this thing still has alot of life left in it. still tons of scrape marks left on the x and y axis and auto oiler worked once i cleaned the ends out. backlash is heavy with .022 on the X and .015 on the Y but not terrible. thats with the split nut tightened as much as i could. i may go back in and cut the nut a little more to take up the rest but from what im finding, thats very good numbers for a mill thats over 45 years old lol.

1675968091187.png

1675968116119.png

the lathe has 0 lettering left on any plaque. it was gone before i got it but the manual i bought for it gives me all the info. i may try to print it on stickers or something.

1675968136992.png

1FastBrick

Dec 1, 2016
Junkyard
My company works with Republic Lagun but they don't buy much from us in recent years. Most of those machines come out of the same factories in ChIna or Tiawan and all use the same or similar parts.

FYI you can convert them over to ball screw too. We do this when we retro fit Or CNC control's on them.

The one company I was working at last week has piles of X and Y axis Lead screws sitting on the floor from CNC conversions...

If you know the length of the lead screws, I can ask and see if there are some in that pile.

TheBac

Why do I keep doing this?
Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
Nice prediction, Trik. Damn close!

Good game. Congrats to the Chiefs!

Now, lets see if the Lions can get to the playoffs next year and make some noise.

Reactions: 1TRIKHD

2004LB7

Dec 15, 2010
Norcal
Trik cheated by waiting until the game was in the 4th quarter before posting 😝

I missed most of the commercials in the first half because I was prepping food. But what I did see wasn't that great

Reactions: 1TRIKHD and TheBac

Chevy1925

Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
My company works with Republic Lagun but they don't buy much from us in recent years. Most of those machines come out of the same factories in ChIna or Tiawan and all use the same or similar parts.

FYI you can convert them over to ball screw too. We do this when we retro fit Or CNC control's on them.

The one company I was working at last week has piles of X and Y axis Lead screws sitting on the floor from CNC conversions...

If you know the length of the lead screws, I can ask and see if there are some in that pile.
shit yeah! ill get some measurements tonight. they are damn near the same as a bridgeport too. only way i figured out how to get the saddle off lol. i was lookin at ball screw stuff but i dont think i need that kind of accuracy? maybe if i add a DRO and power feeds? i dont know much about that stuff.

i thought the commercials were better this year than last. also, that half time show suuuuucked. if you are gunna put someone up there that is going to stand around and just walk the stage end to end, put someone good up there like George Straight.

1FastBrick

Dec 1, 2016
Junkyard
shit yeah! ill get some measurements tonight. they are damn near the same as a bridgeport too. only way i figured out how to get the saddle off lol. i was lookin at ball screw stuff but i dont think i need that kind of accuracy? maybe if i add a DRO and power feeds? i dont know much about that stuff.

i thought the commercials were better this year than last. also, that half time show suuuuucked. if you are gunna put someone up there that is going to stand around and just walk the stage end to end, put someone good up there like George Straight.
You know you can put a CNC control on it too... that's what this pile of lead screws is from.... with a DRO they just leave the leed screws in place.

20230217_103758.jpg

Chevy1925

Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
guess what i forgot to measure too lol. i probably wont ever add cnc to it but id like a power feed or two and dro at some point.

Reactions: 1FastBrick

1FastBrick

Dec 1, 2016
Junkyard
guess what i forgot to measure too lol. i probably wont ever add cnc to it but id like a power feed or two and dro at some point.
No worries. I was asking they guy where the brass nuts went. He said they leave them in the yoke and just change the yoke out when they put a ball screw in since the ball screw nut goes in its place and has to be screwed into the yoke.

There is plenty of power feeds and DRO S out their to chose from.

Status
Not open for further replies.