Fan clutch

racinmike77

Sep 14, 2008
MD
How does the fan clutch on our trucks work? Is there anyway to force it to come on sooner? Curious to help an overheating LLY. I didnt see anything in EFI live related to it but G0501 looks like something to play with to help these guys.

Last edited:

Vrabel

TOYAHOLIC
May 22, 2008
Hewitt, NJ
how old is your T stat? check to see if you have debris between rad and intercooler and condensor. blow out with an air gun and clean out flow.

TRUBBS

Jul 6, 2011
How do you tell if the fan clutch works still? I'm not sure if mine comes on or not, and I had it over heat on me towing out boat...
(MODS-egr blocked/PVC reroute/lbz MP/EFI/CAI & straight pipe

Colt

Jul 23, 2010
I tell by the sound of it kicking on sounds like a blower or turbine sound kicking up above normal engine sound running with set speed. Roll window down and turn of AC if it's up at boil over 230 above I guess. Clean it like said above and add a pusher fan from a catalog. Big one to move air hard since intercooler is in front of radiator might help. Use a fan switch and sensor that kicks pusher on at 170* so it is helping sooner instead of at 230 or whatever your trouble temp is.

TRUBBS

Jul 6, 2011
I tell by the sound of it kicking on sounds like a blower or turbine sound kicking up above normal engine sound running with set speed. Roll window down and turn of AC if it's up at boil over 230 above I guess. Clean it like said above and add a pusher fan from a catalog. Big one to move air hard since intercooler is in front of radiator might help. Use a fan switch and sensor that kicks pusher on at 170* so it is helping sooner instead of at 230 or whatever your trouble temp is.

Thanks, well I know my fan is working & now know what that anoying noise is lol.
Gona pull the radiator out & clean it with some hvac condenser coil cleaner & see if it helps.
Hopefully I dont have a bad Head gasket :(

A_T_Ver

Jul 31, 2007
The majority of LLY owners say the way to fix an overheating LLY is to install an aux radiator. There is so much to read about this subject your head will explode.
I'm curious to see if a pusher/puller fan would help though. And would you use a pusher or a puller fan?

gr8shot

Practically stock
Apr 28, 2009
Grand Island, NE
1. Lbz or afe turbo mouthpiece.
2. Seal air intake from ingesting hot engine compartment air ensuring only cool outside air can go through the intake.
3. Ensure fan clutch is operating properly and cooling stack is clean and debris free.
4. Extra cooling capacity in the form of either engine oil cooler or additional coolant cooling.
5. Sealing/ducting for the cooling stack to ensure maximum airflow through the stack and minimal flow around it.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk 2

05chevy

Jun 10, 2010
My fan clutch use to be on when started and then would turn off after it ran for a few minutes

TRUBBS

Jul 6, 2011
im pretty sure my waterpump is bad as its seaping coolant now.

im going to pull the rad and give it a good cleaning and add pusher fans out front to help the engine fan keep things cool
also need to go ahead and get parts ordered to get the oil cooler done.

any one got some good soild info on the guys adding an aux cooler?

TRUBBS

Jul 6, 2011
pusher fans wont do anything the stock fan can pull like 10,000 cfm

so in your opinion it wouldnt be worth adding them to help push the air through? i figured it might help as the fan is having to pull throught the rad/inter and trans cooler

TeaBagger2006

Im a Garrett Nut Swinger
May 11, 2008
Bis ND
upgrade your radiator. the stock fan is more than enough to keep our trucks in check. thats what cures the problem along with the turbo mouth piece

TRUBBS

Jul 6, 2011
upgrade your radiator. the stock fan is more than enough to keep our trucks in check. thats what cures the problem along with the turbo mouth piece
upgrade it to what? sorry for the dumb question but this is the first ive heard of it.

wheres the best place to get a good water pump from?

gr8shot

Practically stock
Apr 28, 2009
Grand Island, NE
And the other big problem is that the stock intake pulls in hot air from the engine compartment. Compress that air even more and your intercooler starts heating up the air too much before it even gets to the radiator to get the coolant cooled enough.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk 2

TeaBagger2006

Im a Garrett Nut Swinger
May 11, 2008
Bis ND
Back in the day when all the issues were coming up with the lly's overheating the dealers were putting lbz radiators(not100% sure) to solve the problem

A_T_Ver

Jul 31, 2007
im pretty sure my waterpump is bad as its seaping coolant now.

im going to pull the rad and give it a good cleaning and add pusher fans out front to help the engine fan keep things cool
also need to go ahead and get parts ordered to get the oil cooler done.

any one got some good soild info on the guys adding an aux cooler?

Here's one a guy made.
http://www.dieselplace.com/forum/showthread.php?t=371427

What would we upgrade to? A custom radiator from somewhere? I agree the fan is more than enough. I know the LBZ rad is 4" taller and 7/8" thicker with a 4" larger diameter fan. So you need the LBZ core support, rad, shroud, fan, and clutch.