Failing hydroboost

OregonDMAX

NOT IN OREGON, NO DURAMAX
Apr 28, 2013
Goodyear, AZ
I have a weird pulsating sound coming from my brakes when I apply them and I can only hear it below 5mph to a stop as soon as I let off the pedal its gone. No vibration though.

What are some signs of hydroboost going out. The brakes still work decent but its hard to tell how much better they could be unless i threw parts at it.

What do ya guys think.

Hot COCOAL

May the farce be with you
Jun 9, 2012
I have a weird pulsating sound coming from my brakes when I apply them and I can only hear it below 5mph to a stop as soon as I let off the pedal its gone. No vibration though.

What are some signs of hydroboost going out. The brakes still work decent but its hard to tell how much better they could be unless i threw parts at it.

What do ya guys think.

I don't have an answer, but you know I have a hypothesis ;)
I believe its just the system pressurizing? The rubber lines flex and so the sound you hear is the vacume in the system releasing and the squishy feel you get on the pedal is the "pump" getting the system to a pressurized and ready to apply force potential...I say this because it pretty much went away on my truck when I went to stainless braided lines...

Awenta

Sep 28, 2014
CT
Usually kickback or it leaks from the weep hole where the master cylinder is bolted to the hydroboost.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

OregonDMAX

Apr 28, 2013
Goodyear, AZ
I don't have an answer, but you know I have a hypothesis ;)
I believe its just the system pressurizing? The rubber lines flex and so the sound you hear is the vacume in the system releasing and the squishy feel you get on the pedal is the "pump" getting the system to a pressurized and ready to apply force potential...I say this because it pretty much went away on my truck when I went to stainless braided lines...

Well It just started doing it, and I did stainless lines about a year ago. The pedal feel is normal I only hear the sound.

jliddle

Jun 30, 2012
NC
Hit the pedal quickly, if it kicks back then the hydro boost is going.

I know Ben put a 2011 unit in his and it was a direct bolt in. Only LMM and 2011's will work from the LML trucks due to a different sort of brake pedal electrical issue IIRC.

OregonDMAX

Apr 28, 2013
Goodyear, AZ
No vibration just sound only. It shows up as soon as I hit the brakes at low speed and goes away as soon as I let off the brakes if I hit the brakes right away again its back. Unless it's something in the abs I'm thinking it has to be the hydroboost.

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
Have your brother listen under the hood or you do it. You may be hearing the power steering pump pressure valve popping open for some reason. Either way, you should be able to hear were its coming from under the hood then

oh05ext

May 4, 2016
my 2004 does it. im guessing its the abs, pull the abs fuse and drive it. if it goes away found the problem