Engine locked up

gmac32

Dec 8, 2009
bellville ohio
So far i am at a loss. I pulled out of a gas station this morning and got up to about 2600 rpms and the power started coming on, then let off the throttle and the engine died. No weird noises or anything. Now it is locked up tight. The engine wont turn in either direction. This build has 300 miles on it and was running great. I pulled the cp3 thinking maybe it locked up but now i am thinking the torque converter did something or maybe the tranny pump. I cant think of anything else that would lock the motor that tight. I wont budge either direction. I am at a loss right now. Anybody run into a situation like this?

LBZ

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jul 2, 2007
B.C.
Weird to not have any noise.
Hydro locked maybe?
Have you tried rolling it in either direction with a socket on the crank pulley? Maybe pull the glowplugs when you do this to eliminate a hydro lock and make it easier to roll over.

Last edited:

gmac32

Dec 8, 2009
bellville ohio
Tried all that. It wont roll either direction on the crank bolt. I am pulling the glowplugs today. I dont see how it would hydrolock that fast and my resevoir is still full

LBZ

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jul 2, 2007
B.C.
I doubt it did but it’s not a bad idea to check. It could be locked with fuel too.

More likely it’s a hard part that failed or came loose in the engine and jammed something up. Shitty deal.

gmac32

Dec 8, 2009
bellville ohio
I am wondering if something in the torque converter or the transmission pump locked up. I think the is going to be my next step before I start diving back into the engine.

gmac32

Dec 8, 2009
bellville ohio
Quick update....i pulled the starter relay cover off and kept bumping the starter. I got a full revolution out of the motor but it was real real sluggish. So at this point, i can at least un bolt the converter and eliminate that. I have seen alot of things working on diesels for 18 years but nothing quite like this

torqued2dmax

Mar 26, 2017
Brookville, PA
What converter and transmission ? What injectors and cp3 are you running with that much air ? EFI ? How hot are the tunes ? Did you build eng ? Did you have good oil pressure when this happened ? What oil pump ? I am just trying to ask some questions that may spark a response from someone that this may have happened to ! I hope you get help soon !

TheBac

Why do I keep doing this?
Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
Ok, so something didnt necessarily break, but something certainly froze up.

You've been getting good oil pressure? What does the oil/coolant look like now? Levels ok?

Ive got a couple way-out-there ideas, but it really couldnt be either b/c you've been driving the truck without issue for a bit. Im stumped.

gmac32

Dec 8, 2009
bellville ohio
What converter and transmission ? What injectors and cp3 are you running with that much air ? EFI ? How hot are the tunes ? Did you build eng ? Did you have good oil pressure when this happened ? What oil pump ? I am just trying to ask some questions that may spark a response from someone that this may have happened to ! I hope you get help soon !

Dont know about the trans. Bought the truck with a cracked piston. I could tell the trans has been apart before. Converter is just a transtar. Tuning is fleece, set on tow tune. I built the engine. 10mm fleece stroker pump. I already checked that. Oil pressure was good. Oil still looked new. Coolant is great. I am running cenpeco oil. Lml oil pump. I am just going to pull the glow plugs since they are easy and see what happens. I was on the tow tune and havent got on the truck. I like to break them in a while first before i get on it. I just have a sneaky suspicion it is in the converter or trans pump. Pulling the glow plugs is easier than the converter bolts, so i will do that first. Keep any thoughts coming because i am racking my brain here. I truly dont believe it is the engine but i who knows

LBZ

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jul 2, 2007
B.C.
Quick update....i pulled the starter relay cover off and kept bumping the starter. I got a full revolution out of the motor but it was real real sluggish. So at this point, i can at least un bolt the converter and eliminate that. I have seen alot of things working on diesels for 18 years but nothing quite like this

This is what I’d do.

2004LB7

Dec 15, 2010
Norcal
First thing that comes to my mind, maybe an oil gallery got plugged and it seized up a bearing