LBZ: Engine Knock, need help!

BlkMax

Sep 1, 2008
Wasilla, AK
A friends LBZ started knocking today (2006 with about 260K miles). He was driving it easy and started making noise and idling really rough and shaking the engine. It is putting out some black smoke at idle, and anytime you lean on the throttle to mildly accelerate. He stabbed it one time and it was pretty black. The knocking seems to go away during deceleration. Check engine light does not come on.

I checked the codes with a Tech II, and the only code was P2563 - Boost control position sensor, which he has had for a few months. There is no white smoke or excessive blow by when you remove the oil cap, and the way he drives (really, like Mrs. Daisy), I don't believe he hurt the engine mechanically. We have not done a compression test.

I tried to get the balance rates, but it idles too fast when in Park >1000. When it is started, it fires right up (knocking the whole time) and idles at about 650 rpm, then after about 30 seconds climbs up to the ~1000 (which is weird to me, as the idle according to B0701-Base Idle Speed, Cold should never go that high). When I put it in Drive, the idle drops to about 650 & is pretty rough, and the balance rates are mostly +/- 2.5, with a 3.5 and a 4.8, which seems OK in gear. Rail pressure at idle is close enough to desired ~5000 psi. We did check to make sure the grounds were tight.

Is this symptomatic of bad injector(s)? I'm kind of stumped with no codes. When I tried to command individual injectors off with EFILive, it did not seem to make any difference, but I have never tried that before...

Any help is appreciated. Thanx

BlkMax

Sep 1, 2008
Wasilla, AK
Sounds like bad injectors. I’d double check that the crank ain’t broke

I'm thinking the same thing on the injectors, but just realized that we needed to check the crank too.

What is the best way to check individual injectors? I'm an LB7 guy, so when they start smoking or making oil, I just replace them all...:roflmao::roflmao:

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
He’s better off buying all 8 at this point. 260k on them means they are worn out. Specially if you have knocking going on.

Checking balance rates against main injection fuel rate and then checking return rates is the best way but I’ll bet you find they all need replacing or most of them at min

NC-smokinlmm

<<<Future tuna killer
May 29, 2011
At Da Beach
I know personally of a truck with 700,000+ on original injectors. I'd just replace the bad one or two. First I'd inspect injector harnes though...

BlkMax

Sep 1, 2008
Wasilla, AK
To close this out, I found the menu on the Tech II to turn off the injectors, and clearly #2 was bad. Balance rates on a few others were real marginal. He decided to get a complete set of injectors from LDS, so I get to do injectors on an LBZ.

This should be refreshing after doing so many on my LB7's. :roflmao::roflmao:

Thank you for all the help.:hug:

Robby Avery

GM TECH @ FENDER GMC
Jul 31, 2008
Norman Park, Georgia
Glad to know the recommended spec on factory lbz and lmm injectors was about 100k to 150k so I think they were well above threshold. Go ahead and do maintenance items while your waiting thermostats fuel filter head rebuild it needs fuel filter and such :thumb: