electrocuted my engine

VinceGU05

duramax lover downunder
May 20, 2011
Melbourne, Australia
i created a little problem on the weekend.. while fitting a new battery, the cable from the fuse block touched the fuel filter and arc'ed. (had power from the 2nd battery which i didnt realise; remember engine transplant so a little different under the hood.)
nothing else done or touched under there and now cranks but doesnt start.
i cant find any blown fuses. i have only 2 pending codes U0105 and U0106
i can smell diesel after cranking it for ages, like a flooded car. it has a little cough like its trying to fire every now and then.
glow plug light comes up the dash and goes off after 10 sec.
any ideas of what i fried?
thanks

chevyburnout1

Fixing it till it breaks
Aug 25, 2008
Berthoud, CO
I feel like that arc wouldn't have caused any issues, but being a transplant that's hard to say. Any wiring harness or other parts get moved when doing the battery? The codes point to an issue with your high speed communication circuit for the FICM and GPCM.

VinceGU05

duramax lover downunder
May 20, 2011
Melbourne, Australia
I feel like that arc wouldn't have caused any issues, but being a transplant that's hard to say. Any wiring harness or other parts get moved when doing the battery? The codes point to an issue with your high speed communication circuit for the FICM and GPCM.

the ECM is giving codes and glow plug light is coming on and off after 10 sec or so. so not sure they are fried.
the FICM how ever was right next to this arcing. 2" away.
no nothing was moved to get the battery in and the keys were out of the ignition at the time.

mike diesel

I'm alright.
Sep 6, 2012
SLC, Utah
The ground in the TCM probably melted. Try running a direct ground from the negative side of the battery to the physical aluminum case of the TCM and see if it starts. Just a regular wire will work.

VinceGU05

duramax lover downunder
May 20, 2011
Melbourne, Australia
The ground in the TCM probably melted. Try running a direct ground from the negative side of the battery to the physical aluminum case of the TCM and see if it starts. Just a regular wire will work.

just to add. the TCM and ECM now live behind the firewall in the cab. no plastic smell from melted wires but will check anyways. the GPCM lives in the standard spot and the FICM lives next to the fuel filter.
fusable link? good question.. i cant find any thing blown. got a mate coming around shortly who knows these things pretty well to see if he can nut it out.

mike diesel

I'm alright.
Sep 6, 2012
SLC, Utah
Its pretty common that if you short a battery or jump start another car incorrectly with a Dmax that the ground wire in the TCM melts. Doesn't matter where the TCM is located. I would give it a try before doing anything else.

DAVe3283

Heavy & Slow
Sep 3, 2009
Boise, ID, USA
The TCM is what is known to have the problem.

However,I would revisit the codes. If the engine can't communicate with the FICM, it won't start.

Kappa9012

MAN.... I Broke it again.
Aug 5, 2008
Peoria Il
same here. Truck was running rough, check the trims, while I was watching them, every injector went to -12.5 truck ran worse, cycled the key and it never restarted, and I was getting loss of comm code for the ficm.

MACKIN

Smell My Finger...
Aug 14, 2006
Connecticut
You did a transplant after the transplant did you ever get it running before the short? I was thinking the Pass lock Security relearn if it isn't fuses. Just a guess

VinceGU05

duramax lover downunder
May 20, 2011
Melbourne, Australia
You did a transplant after the transplant did you ever get it running before the short? I was thinking the Pass lock Security relearn if it isn't fuses. Just a guess

Yes it's been happily running for quiet some time. Just the crank battery decided it was ready for retirement. So just a battery swap. So I did kill something there and then.