LB7: Electric fans

KevinD

KevinD
Nov 7, 2012
I'm wanting to install electric fans on my truck and get rid of the clutch fan. I have been looking at fans and also wondering if a gasser electric fans work with my diesel as far as pulling enough CFM's to keep the truck cool. Can someone give me some help on this?

thunder550

Apr 2, 2013
Phoenix, AZ
I did 1500 e-fans on the LLY cooling stack in my 1500. Required a little bit of trimming and making some brackets for them to bolt to the radiator support. I would not run e-fans if you tow or haul heavy stuff though.

I have about $140 into the fans and 145 amp alternator (got both from a scrap yard), and another $200ish into a dccontrol variable speed fan controller.

KevinD

KevinD
Nov 7, 2012
Yeah I was looking the kit was like 600. I do tow. Not a lot but when I tow its a good distance. I know this summer I will be towing a good amount of my in laws stuff to Canada from alabama so I need something with some good CFM's

Awenta

Sep 28, 2014
CT
Running down the freeway it isn't as important. It's traffic and city driving that it will make a difference.

Flexalite is the way I would go if I had to. But preferably I would keep the stock fan. Add a bigger trans cooler, and run aux electric fans.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Awenta

Sep 28, 2014
CT
Big trailer on an incline at freeway speeds will need the stock fan CFM to keep cool.

Absolutely. That's why I said I'd keep my stock fan.

But it's more important when your stop and go because you don't get the air flow you do at freeway speed.

Awenta

Sep 28, 2014
CT
We're both getting at the same thing just from different sides. Keep your fan, maintain your coming system and it will serve you well. If you tow run an aftermarket trans cooler and auxiliary fans if you feel the need.

You never said why you want to get rid of the stock fan.

Awenta

Sep 28, 2014
CT
On a gasser, yeah....on a diesel, no......

A diesel isnt going to overheat just sitting there little/no zero load.

No, I meant stop and go with a heavy trailer. Sorry for not clarifying :) . He was talking about it with a load too.

duratothemax

<--- slippery roads
Aug 28, 2006
Wyoming
No, I meant stop and go with a heavy trailer. Sorry for not clarifying :) . He was talking about it with a load too.

You think the stock fan at <1500rpm (ie, stop and go traffic) is going to move more air than e-fans running full speed???????

Awenta

Sep 28, 2014
CT
No, I was saying the opposite. That electric fans would be most beneficial at lower speeds. Because you're not getting that volume of air as you are at cruising speed.