EGT Probe Problems

baggedLB7

Goer
May 1, 2011
Utah
Is anyone haveing problems with the Edge egt probe?

I am running the non expandable probe with my Edge insight.
I replaced mine 3 times last year under warranty and I had to buy a new one the last week of May this year and it has already gone to shit.
All 4 probes have done the same thing just start reading low like 90 at idle and 300 crusing then jumps from 800 to 1600 and all around at wot.

Every time I have changed it it goes back to normal and im getting tired of changing it out.
When I ask the question to Edge they dont know of any problems go figure right.
So is it me or is there other people having these problems.

baggedLB7

Goer
May 1, 2011
Utah
Its lucky to see mid 1400s on the temps since the twins and the first two would see mid 1500s max before the twins.
As far as depth I have never herd of being to deep just that it should be about midway in the manifold.

jlawles2

Jan 28, 2010
Danbury, TX
How do you have the wiring routed and what is it tied to? My EGT probe on the Banks and one on a dodge both went bad when it broke the wire at the probe. Remedy is to route the wires next to the engine and tie them to the engine where possible. Once across the engine (when mounted in pass manifold) put a loop if possible before the wires are tied to a non moving body part.

baggedLB7

Goer
May 1, 2011
Utah
How do you have the wiring routed and what is it tied to? My EGT probe on the Banks and one on a dodge both went bad when it broke the wire at the probe. Remedy is to route the wires next to the engine and tie them to the engine where possible. Once across the engine (when mounted in pass manifold) put a loop if possible before the wires are tied to a non moving body part.

No loop but it is tied up the side and across the top of the motor. I will look at my old one and see if any of the wires are broken.

Lparrill

And here we go again
Jul 30, 2010
Lander, WY
I had the same exact problem. Went through two of them. The screen on my insight actually burnt up (not sure how and just out of warranty of course) so I never found a reason.

jlawles2

Jan 28, 2010
Danbury, TX
I know from experience if it does not move with the motor or hits something at the neck, it will break the wires. Just be sure that nothing is obstructing the wires.

Use an OHM meter to check for broke wires. If wires are broke, it will read 1600F :O

Janimal444

Jun 25, 2012
Salem, NH
Both me and my buddy bought the Insight CTS monitors. Both went through one EGT probe in about a month. We are both on our second, his stopped working again. Kind of a PITA to keep swapping them out, so I will not be pleased if my second one stops working.

wrcknkrw

Feb 21, 2008
roy ut
I had the same problem. Talking with my friend that works at edge it says it is normally caused by water entering the sensor.

Ryan T

Sep 5, 2010
CA
ive had the same problem with mine, they have replaced it once , first one lasted a few months and took a sh!t..i know mine wasnt from water, i never drove it rain or washed the engine down...

baggedLB7

Goer
May 1, 2011
Utah
Well at least im not the only one with problems. Still blows switching them out every few months.
On the bright side im getting dam quick changing it out.:confused:

Janimal444

Jun 25, 2012
Salem, NH
ive had the same problem with mine, they have replaced it once , first one lasted a few months and took a sh!t..i know mine wasnt from water, i never drove it rain or washed the engine down...

X2 both me and my buddy NEVER drive our trucks in the rain. Had a standard EGT gauge for 3 years and got rid of it to change it up, now if I lose another probe I'll end up going back to it anyways.

ktroyer

Nov 7, 2010
Mine is doing the same thing. Just got an Insight CTS not more than a month ago and the egt reading is almost always out of wack. Mine is also non expandable. Anybody having issues with the expandable ones? maybe we just need to get the expandable one if it will last longer?:confused:

RKTMech

Idiot with a wrench
Aug 18, 2008
The Norco's
Had my cts with expandable egt since march no issues yet, Bagged see if they will credit you for the base model and upgrade to the expandable one??? worth a shot!

baggedLB7

Goer
May 1, 2011
Utah
Well I talked to Edge this week and finally had a guy admit to me that they have been having problems with one of there manufactures probs they were producing and that they were no longer using them. So my new probe should be in today and hopefully I will not be changing it out again in a few months.