egt probe location

stlled

Jan 30, 2014
st.louis mo
I know a ton of post and threads have been started on how to install the probe. I am wondering if location (other than passenger manifold) would give a more accurate reading. I was considering welding a bung in my down pipe?
Any one ever installed in a different location ? :spit:

Hot COCOAL

May the farce be with you
Jun 9, 2012
No other place is more accurate than the manifold, the pass manifold, w/in 4" from the head is the most accurate measurement, placing the probe in the downpipe will give you a much cooler reading (something like 600* iirc) than is actually coming out of the cylinder, and that's what is important, the gasses and temps in the cylinder.

:thumb:

stlled

Jan 30, 2014
st.louis mo
I would thing that the most accurate would be as close to the turbo as possible. The pass manifold would only read the temp out of the that head.

x MadMAX DIESEL

<<<< No Horsepower
Dec 30, 2008
Lexington, Ky
I would thing that the most accurate would be as close to the turbo as possible. The pass manifold would only read the temp out of the that head.

That's what your trying to figure out. The ehaust, as soon as it leaves the heads. People use egt for different purposes. Some to see hot they get when towing (which your actually worried about what that's doing to your pistons, valves, all that in your cylinder. Or like me you use it to figure out when your turbo will lite. For that you'll find the sweet spot no matter where you install the probe. But for normal street, towing pretty much everything the general consensus is to get it right out the head. Even though its "exhaust gas temp" you should consider the exhaust to be right out the head, not out the turbo.