LBZ: EGR coolant hose bypass?

THEFERMANATOR

LEGALLY INSANE
Feb 16, 2009
ZEPHYRHILLS, FL
I'm putting a blocker plate in an 06 LLY/LBZ and shutting the codes off with EFILIVE. I'm also putting in a water pump and hoses and was considering bypassing the EGR cooler since a blocker plate will be installed when I put the new heater hoses in. Is this a good idea or should I keep it in the loop?

mtl_dmax

Dec 7, 2010
Eastern Canada
Why not just go with a full EGR delete and then bypass the cooler entirely?

You can bypass the cooler with the blocker plate too but I don't see much point to it.

THEFERMANATOR

LEGALLY INSANE
Feb 16, 2009
ZEPHYRHILLS, FL
Why not just go with a full EGR delete and then bypass the cooler entirely?

You can bypass the cooler with the blocker plate too but I don't see much point to it.

I'm doing it for a friend of mine and he wants a blocker plate put in as he already has it and is alot easier than changing out the up pipe and such.

mtl_dmax

Dec 7, 2010
Eastern Canada
I'm doing it for a friend of mine and he wants a blocker plate put in as he already has it and is alot easier than changing out the up pipe and such.

You can just bolt a cap on the riser when doing the full delete, but yes, the blocker is quite a bit cheaper.
When you start making good HP it's worth going to the full delete IMHO.

LBZ

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jul 2, 2007
B.C.
Bypassing the cooler won't hurt anything and the blocker plate works fine. Just be careful not to bend the egr pipe too much as you can break the bellows!!

THEFERMANATOR

LEGALLY INSANE
Feb 16, 2009
ZEPHYRHILLS, FL
Bypassing the cooler won't hurt anything and the blocker plate works fine. Just be careful not to bend the egr pipe too much as you can break the bellows!!

I HOPE it goes well as this is a Florida truck that has been garage kept and no rust anywhere. Other than a little oil around teh intake, it is squeeky clean. He just wants the EGR shut off as he has had non stop problems with it with his BULLYDOG on it. I'm putting Dozer's milage tune in it for him which looks like a well written tune VS the BULLYDOG tune he had in it when he brought it to me. That tune just made no sense when I looked at it.

lddrew

shootin for 13's
Jan 10, 2011
West Georgia
did you get around to doing this??? i am not seeing an easy way to access the coolant drain where the coolant comes out of the cooler. it is directly underneath the mouthpiece and pretty much surrounded by hard intake/EGR parts

THEFERMANATOR

LEGALLY INSANE
Feb 16, 2009
ZEPHYRHILLS, FL
Yep, did it before Christmas and the guy is as happy as could be. It was a bit of a pain to do the hoses though, espescially that 90 degree one going to the turbo. I still have almost a full roll of teh straight hose that goes from the bypass tube to the turbo line as GM makes you buy 10 feet for that 4 inch piece.

lddrew

shootin for 13's
Jan 10, 2011
West Georgia
okay what exactly did you replace??? i was just going to route 2ft of heater hose from the supply on the firewall to the drain underneath the turbo mouthpiece. Just couldn't see a way to get that hose off the drain

THEFERMANATOR

LEGALLY INSANE
Feb 16, 2009
ZEPHYRHILLS, FL
I took the tube out of the T-stat housing as I was already doing T-stats and all the other hoses. I also ended up tweaking that pipe some to get it to clear the EGR cooler inlet without cutting the new heater hose.