ECM Unlocking Service

Sledhead

Mountain Pass Machine
Nov 29, 2008
BC
Any recommendations for getting this done (A site Vendor)? It would be great if there was something in Canada but the lower 48 would be my second choice.

Kat

Wicked Witch of the West
Aug 2, 2006
Norco, CA
As far as I'm aware the only way to unlock an ECM is to have the person who locked it unlock it.

I know a TECH II won't do it.

Colt

Jul 23, 2010
Check All Season, Fleece, SoCal, or a tuner that exchanges/sells them read of lots of guys who have 2 ECMs to change if one locks up etc. My tuner is only 10 miles away so I just have one.

Sledhead

Mountain Pass Machine
Nov 29, 2008
BC
As far as I'm aware the only way to unlock an ECM is to have the person who locked it unlock it.

I know a TECH II won't do it.

EFI said they would do it for $50 AUS but shipping... I found a couple others online (PCMcalibrators included), just wanted to support the site vendors first.

I think they have software that just hits it with every $xxxx hex key combination.

TheBac

Why do I keep doing this?
Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
If your tuner locked the ECM, it was for good reason, dont ya think? They dont want the particulars of their tunes shared openly.
If you then attempt to unlock the ECM by these other means, isnt that going against your "agreement" with your tuner?

Why cant (or wont) your tuner make the changes that you require?

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
If your tuner locked the ECM, it was for good reason, dont ya think? They dont want the particulars of their tunes shared openly.
If you then attempt to unlock the ECM by these other means, isnt that going against your "agreement" with your tuner?

Why cant (or wont) your tuner make the changes that you require?
I think it was a spare ECM he had from another motor or something.

TheBac

Why do I keep doing this?
Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
There was no mention of that in any of the posts. If that was the case, then I am very sorry for my post.

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
There was no mention of that in any of the posts. If that was the case, then I am very sorry for my post.
I read it in another thread he had. No need to apologize. I agree with what you said.

Sledhead

Mountain Pass Machine
Nov 29, 2008
BC
No issue, the ECM came with my spare motor from a wrecked truck. I assumed it to be stock but when I needed it - locked. Strange, not sure who would have tuned and locked it in central B.C. about 6 years ago.

I don't care to see the tune, I'm working with Trent on a DSP5 tune just afraid to do any flashing till I get a spare again after all the problems I had a couple weeks ago.

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
No issue, the ECM came with my spare motor from a wrecked truck. I assumed it to be stock but when I needed it - locked. Strange, not sure who would have tuned and locked it in central B.C. about 6 years ago.

I don't care to see the tune, I'm working with Trent on a DSP5 tune just afraid to do any flashing till I get a spare again after all the problems I had a couple weeks ago.
I know several years ago Wester's was doing some Duramax tuning out of Canada somewhere. I'm not sure what they were using or if they were locking the ECM, but as I recall, it was pre-EFILive.

wilsonck

May 8, 2008
Calgary, Ab
I know several years ago Wester's was doing some Duramax tuning out of Canada somewhere. I'm not sure what they were using or if they were locking the ECM, but as I recall, it was pre-EFILive.

Westers garage could probably do it. Give Lyndon a call. I had to take my 05 ECM down there one time. Located in Tilley, Ab - small town out of Brooks.

Sledhead

Mountain Pass Machine
Nov 29, 2008
BC

You know, I did think about calling them on a long shot, maybe tomorrow.

GMC_2002_Dmax

The Still Master
EFI said they would do it for $50 AUS but shipping... I found a couple others online (PCMcalibrators included), just wanted to support the site vendors first.

I think they have software that just hits it with every $xxxx hex key combination.

You will also get it back re-flashed with a STOCK TUNE, whatever was on the ecm will be wiped out.

I lock my ecm's so the internet copy catter's don't steal my hard work and resell/whore it out for a quick buck.

There are over 65000 possible unlock codes as well so if you want to start guessing it will take a long, long time.

:thumb:

THEFERMANATOR

LEGALLY INSANE
Feb 16, 2009
ZEPHYRHILLS, FL

He uses a tuner that is very similiar if not the same as TUNERCAT II. I know his files are TUNERCAT II compatible that he now sells. It is more of a computer tech guys kind of programming from what i ahve seen as it isn't laid out in simple tables and such like EFILIVE. I do believe though Lyndon would probably be able to unlock it or write over it as he does his own coding and such for his software.