Dynamite oval pattern injectors

2004LB7

Dec 15, 2010
Norcal
When I pulled the exhaust manifold off my TDI I was surprised to find the head had studs with copper nuts holding the manifold on. The copper had zero corrosion. Came off really easy. Studs under the copper nuts where rust free too. Looked like that worked excellent. Only issue is the weak torque specs for copper nuts.

With the price of these trucks, GM should have put inconel fasteners on the exhaust

Reactions: juddski88

Fingers

Village Idiot
Vendor/Sponsor
Apr 1, 2008
White Oak, PA
I usually slather Nickle NeverSeez on anything exhaust related. I wonder if I should switch to copper. For Aluminum to Stainless contact, Noalox seems to work very well.

Reactions: 2004LB7

juddski88

Freedom Diesel
Jul 1, 2008
Chesterfield, Mass.
I personally never had a problem with copper on anything exhaust related, however, I did prefer aluminum-based antisieze in high-heat industrial processes, from constant 600deg-2200deg applications for hundreds or thousands of hours between cycles, the copper based product would solidify/bake and make disassembly impossible

2004LB7

Dec 15, 2010
Norcal
I personally never had a problem with copper on anything exhaust related, however, I did prefer aluminum-based antisieze in high-heat industrial processes, from constant 600deg-2200deg applications for hundreds or thousands of hours between cycles, the copper based product would solidify/bake and make disassembly impossible
There's a reason all the highest temperature antisieze is copper free. Nickel is what's normally used. Can't say I have much experience with the aluminum type

jlawles2

Jan 28, 2010
Danbury, TX
I have several different anti seize compounds depending on what I am putting it on. High temp stuff gets put on most things as that seems to be what I have the most issues with.

I don't think I have any Copper based, But I have not used any in a while since not working on things like I used to.

Dozer, here south of Houston, we need the high heat stuff just for daily temps.