Duramax designed from a gasoline engine??

TAGLARRY

Nov 10, 2010
A buddy was telling me why his Dodge Cummins was so much better than my Duramax. Most of what he said went in one ear and out the other because I wasn't even really listening.

He did say that the Duramax is a gasoline engine that was converted to diesel by GM. Just to educate myself the next time I see him, is this true? The only reason I ask is because I have heard this statement before.

I know it was designed by Isuzu but was it designed as a diesel?

McRat

Diesel Hotrodder
Aug 2, 2006
Norco CA
www.mcratracing.com
PS - The Duramax is a Medium Duty Diesel engine in the same format as is in the GM pickups. The Pickup Cummins is not a medium duty version.

The Allison 1000 is a Medium Duty automatic trans. The Dodge uses a gas engine transmission.

KEVINL

Jul 4, 2008
Phoenix, AZ
the 6.2 diesel was not a converted gas either it was detroit diesel design

the olds 5.7 diesel was the converted gas engine and it was beefed up over the gas version

MACKIN

Smell My Finger...
Aug 14, 2006
Connecticut
Just so we're clear,The 6.2 was replaced with the 6.5 and then the 6.6 Duramax engine. The ONLY engine listed just to be clear that was designed FROM a gas engine was the 6.2. Yes the Duramax is a Isuzu engine.

The guy although your buddy knows squat. What year Cummins does he have?

MACKIN

Smell My Finger...
Aug 14, 2006
Connecticut
the 6.2 diesel was not a converted gas either it was the olds 5.7 and it was beefed up over the gas version

OOps forgot that that was the displacement not the 6.2 :eek:

Sorry for the confusion.

The 6.2 Liter General Motors diesel engine is not a converted Oldsmobile engine. The 5.7 Liter Oldsmobile diesel used in General Motors vehicles prior to 1982 was, basically, a gasoline engine that had undergone specific conversions to the cylinder block, cylinder heads, induction system, and fuel system. These conversions allowed the engine to run on diesel fuel. Plagued with problems and prone to catastrophic engine failure, the 5.7 Liter Oldsmobile diesel engine was replaced with a new engine: the 6.2 Liter diesel engine.

McRat

Diesel Hotrodder
Aug 2, 2006
Norco CA
www.mcratracing.com
Here's the story I have:

Cummins had some agricultural engines left over they couldn't sell.

They asked Ford and Chevy if they wanted them. Both of them declined.

The rest is history.

THEFERMANATOR

LEGALLY INSANE
Feb 16, 2009
ZEPHYRHILLS, FL
FORD was the one that used a converted gas engine in there diesel trucks as there first 6.9L diesel back in the early 80's started life as a gas tractor engine back in the late 70's. The 6.2/6.5L were a Detroit diesel designed engine to easily replace the 90 degree gas engines that GM had and were designed to be a light duty fuel sipper. The CUMMINS was origanally designed to be a 3rd world generator engine as it was built to run on virtually anything and be tough as nails at 160 HP max. Who would have thought that something that started out as a generator engine would have the cult following it has today.

JD4440

<< Lo-Carb Monster
Feb 27, 2009
Orlinda, TN
Here's the story I have:

The rest is history.

As was outlined in diesel world a moth or 2 ago. From a joint venture between CASE and Cummins

doug9940

Ca LLY
Dec 6, 2009
Corona, Ca.
Here's the story I have:

The rest is history.

So, your saying the cummins was designed for lawn mowers, right.

TAGLARRY

Nov 10, 2010
Just so we're clear,The 6.2 was replaced with the 6.5 and then the 6.6 Duramax engine. The ONLY engine listed just to be clear that was designed FROM a gas engine was the 6.2. Yes the Duramax is a Isuzu engine.

The guy although your buddy knows squat. What year Cummins does he have?

2007, same as my Duramax.

McRat

Diesel Hotrodder
Aug 2, 2006
Norco CA
www.mcratracing.com
Truth is, the Duramax has, and has always had, more "area under the curve" than either the Powerstroke or Cummins.

And GM uses the strictest method of rating their HP, the newest SAE spec SAE J2723, which has caused some interesting side-by-side comparison issues, where the GM engine with less rated HP thrashes the competition that posts higher numbers.

The "area under the curve" is the average HP the engine puts out throughout it's range. Screw torque (low RPM hp), if you want to pull heavy loads effortlessly, you want power everywhere, which the Duramax excels at. The new Ford Powerstroke was the latest victim. It wasn't even close.

The aluminum heads on a Duramax will handle more boost before leaking than the iron head on the Cummins, which was a common snivel by the DodgeBoys when the Duramax came out: "Aluminum heads??? Piece-o-crap, they will leak too easy!" It's exactly the opposite in real life.

Sledhead

Mountain Pass Machine
Nov 29, 2008
BC
Personally I'm thankful for the 5.9 and 7.3 to a lesser extent. They are a big factor in the Duramax being what it is IMO. GM was suckin the hind tit before the D'max set the bar.

When Dad bought his 12V in '91 (waited for the intercooler) everyone thought he was crazy for wanting a diesel, but they don't talk about that anymore lol.

Funny story - A logger aquaintance of mine is jealous of my D'max because the equipment they use have Isuzu engines and they get 50,000 hours easy from them compared to 20,000 for the others. Why doesn't he get one I asked, "I can't, I'm a FORD guy"! :roflmao:

McRat

Diesel Hotrodder
Aug 2, 2006
Norco CA
www.mcratracing.com
I still remember the day we picked up Big Blue. I couldn't believe a Land-Barge that size could move that quickly and effortlessly. Crew Cab, Long Bed, 4x4, 3500 SRW, but it felt like a 1/2 ton RC/SB 2wd with a V8 in it. Well, except that the gas needle barely moves.

Sledhead

Mountain Pass Machine
Nov 29, 2008
BC
I couldn't believe a Land-Barge that size could move that quickly and effortlessly.

I know the feeling. Its a sports car, at least until you power through a left turn light on a wet road and then you remember how HEAVY it is :eek:

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
i remember the day my dad brought the black truck home (the one i own now). we used a 98 chevy cc/lb 454 supercharged to pull our 40ft fifth wheel to the dunes or to flagstaff. when my dad hooked the trailer up to the truck for the first time and pulled it up the two big hills to flagstaff. it pulled it jsut as fast as the supercharged 454 and got twice the fuel mileage. since then, hes owned three dmaxes :D