Duramax Camaro

OneofWon

Nov 18, 2015
St Cloud MN
Hello, my name is Nate and just thought I'd give this forum stuff a try as I dont have much free time.

I am in the process of building a 2010 SS Camaro with a 2010 LMM Duramax engine, at this point the Engine and trans is mounted into the car and I am beginning down the long road of wiring to make it a fully functioning driver.

You may have seen my last build, the Cummins Charger with a 5.9/NV4500 that I have been daily driving for the last year and have about 15,000 miles on it now.

Feel free to subscribe to my youtube channel as I occasioanlly post videos of the diesel cars and will work on posting more about the Camaro. the amount of interest I attract will motivate me to post more pics, videos and information as things progress.

Excited to meet some new friends on here, and willing to help with what I can. I am a jack of all trades, but a master of none.. ;)

Here is a few pics, I will do a small write up on my adventure so far if there is an audience for it.

f5y91a
https://www.flickr.com/photos/136055991@N05/shares/HE1gsZ

Youtube - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCPt14CIecu3nen6lYu6qxHw/

(Tried attached photos, didnt work, so I linked them)

4vCndw

iVDF34

Re1f5g

Last edited:

TheBac

Why do I keep doing this?
Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
Thank you for bringing your build to us. :) There are quite a few guys here familiar with wiring a stand-alone setup, so dont be shy about asking for help.

duratothemax

<--- slippery roads
Aug 28, 2006
Wyoming
I would think there is a very good chance you would be able to get it all working like factory....no need to go to standalone.

That way you can keep factory gauges, cruise control, ignition switch, ABS/stability control, etc.

GM generally doesnt change the GMLAN PPEI messages or ID frames, regardless of vehicle platform or year. As long as its mid/late 2000's or newer and has the newer GMLAN electrical architecture throughout the entire vehicle, it should all be compatible.

So, for example, theoretically, a Camaro BCM "should" broadcast the exact same "crank request" GMLAN message frame/byte value as an LMM Silverado BCM.... and therefore the LMM ECM "should" acknowledge a crank request message from a Camaro ignition switch/BCM and properly start the engine.

(note: PPEI is Platform to Powertrain Electrical Interface, nothing to do with kory)

RPM Motorsports

smokinum
May 13, 2008
Central Valley Ca.
Awesome build, can't wait to see the finished platform. We almost went that route with a customers request (2012 Camaro/Dmax), but he decided he wants to wait and do a 2016 mini Dmax in a new Tahoe. Patiently waiting for them to start showing up in the yards :eek:

OneofWon

Nov 18, 2015
St Cloud MN
So DO NOT hack up the Camaro dash and electrical harness/fuse block/interior just yet........

Haha, thanks for your reassurance, I was hoping it would be somewhat compatible as I am using a 2009 LMM and a 2010 6L90. When it comes to wiring I am a fool, I may be looking at subbing that part out. Im good at fabbing, welding and throwing a bunch of shit at the wall, not wiring. haha

So if you know any wiring genius' around MN or surrounding states, lmk.

OneofWon

Nov 18, 2015
St Cloud MN
And thanks for all the warm welcomes! its nice to see meet some positive people online as it seems most like to start shit. I'll do my best to keep this thread updated if interest continues.

THEFERMANATOR

LEGALLY INSANE
Feb 16, 2009
ZEPHYRHILLS, FL
Haha, thanks for your reassurance, I was hoping it would be somewhat compatible as I am using a 2009 LMM and a 2010 6L90. When it comes to wiring I am a fool, I may be looking at subbing that part out. Im good at fabbing, welding and throwing a bunch of shit at the wall, not wiring. haha

So if you know any wiring genius' around MN or surrounding states, lmk.
Using van parts and such may be yourbest bet then. I believe the duramax vans used the lmm engine with a 6l90e trans behind it. If so, that would make wiring VERY easy since you could use off the shelf or junkyard parts. Or ask Ben as he seems to like challenges like that, and he does do stand alone stuff.

TheBac

Why do I keep doing this?
Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
I would think there is a very good chance you would be able to get it all working like factory....no need to go to standalone.

That way you can keep factory gauges, cruise control, ignition switch, ABS/stability control, etc.

GM generally doesnt change the GMLAN PPEI messages or ID frames, regardless of vehicle platform or year. As long as its mid/late 2000's or newer and has the newer GMLAN electrical architecture throughout the entire vehicle, it should all be compatible.

So, for example, theoretically, a Camaro BCM "should" broadcast the exact same "crank request" GMLAN message frame/byte value as an LMM Silverado BCM.... and therefore the LMM ECM "should" acknowledge a crank request message from a Camaro ignition switch/BCM and properly start the engine.

(note: PPEI is Platform to Powertrain Electrical Interface, nothing to do with kory)

Found something like that out between the Silverado nav radio and the Aurora...after Aurora "experts" had said nothing on the car was compatible with anything else.
Sure would be wild for a swap like that to be plug-n-play, though. I never would've thought the similarities could be that extensive.

SmokeShow

Nov 30, 2006
Lawrenceburg, KY
Just ran across you on YouTube the other day and almost made a post asking if anyone knew you.

Glad to see you on here! I look forward to seeing this DMax Camaro come to life!

If you end up feeling the need to do sub out the wiring part, Ben (duratothemax) is def. capable. Russ (rpm motorsports) has done a bunch of conversions too.

duratothemax

<--- slippery roads
Aug 28, 2006
Wyoming
If you're serious about this project, send me an email.

I just spent some time looking through the Camaro wiring diagrams and Im pretty confident I can make it all work with the factory camaro underhood fuse box, body wiring, instrument cluster, ignition switch, etc...

ie, the wiring would be all plug and play. You wouldnt have to splice anything. Even use the factory Camaro fuel level sending unit and stuff.