Duraburb/ durahoe?

LBZ

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jul 2, 2007
B.C.
Local guy has an escalade with a dmax in it called Duralade. Very clean setup and puts down close to 600hp on the dyno.

Sent from my D5803 using Tapatalk

Awenta

Sep 28, 2014
CT
Local guy has an escalade with a dmax in it called Duralade. Very clean setup and puts down close to 600hp on the dyno.

That would be awesome. Which body?

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

LBZ

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jul 2, 2007
B.C.
'08 or '09 SUV IIRC. LBZ engine. Can't remember which trans it has. It's very nice and the only time I ever see it is at the Armor Inc dyno every September. Not sure where he is from exactly.

THEFERMANATOR

LEGALLY INSANE
Feb 16, 2009
ZEPHYRHILLS, FL
If you're not going to keep it for long, do a 6.0l/4L80E swap with a supercharger. This is the kind of swap where you will NEVER get your money back out of it. Last I talked to Eric, he was focusing on LMM+ because of how hard it was getting to find good donors. Theres a few out there for sale, most are asking what they have in them, and most have been for sale for awhile because when it boils right down to it, people are not willing to spend the money for a novelty. And those who are want them built there way. Many dont want to admit it, but when you add it all up, the payoff really isnt there. If I had paid somebody to have done mine, theres no way it would have one in it.

As to the actual swap, theresnot a whole lot more I can add since I did mine to an older body style(which was ALOT more work).

yellowchevy

Sep 9, 2010
Louisburg, KS for now
Awesome thanks.

Dumb question.. Obviously you have to raise the body to clear the core support. Are people only putting the front pucks from a body lift (say 2") then stepping down "x" amount at each body mount ending up with the rear like factory? Basically putting the body on with a rake tword the rear? Or is the thing to do just install the full body lift and lower the suspension?

Is a body lift 100% required? Could one not cut the frame side mounts off and move them up? (Havnt looked to see if they are like the hd trucks and the stamped steel bracket welded to the frame)

I believe you can just get a core support and intercooler from an 01-02 and not have to do the body lift. I was talking to guy back up around home that did one and thats what he did if I remember right so he didn't have to put a body lift on it.

Yellowchevy

THEFERMANATOR

LEGALLY INSANE
Feb 16, 2009
ZEPHYRHILLS, FL
I believe you can just get a core support and intercooler from an 01-02 and not have to do the body lift. I was talking to guy back up around home that did one and thats what he did if I remember right so he didn't have to put a body lift on it.

Yellowchevy
I believe Eric tried doing one without the body lift, and ran into problems with hood clearance at the compressor where the lines hooked up.

yellowchevy

Sep 9, 2010
Louisburg, KS for now
I believe Eric tried doing one without the body lift, and ran into problems with hood clearance at the compressor where the lines hooked up.

Thats what I thought as well. I didn't see it, was just commenting on what I was told worked for this guy. This was on a new body style Denali so I don't know if that makes a difference.

Maybe I'll find out one day first hand, ha.

Yellowchevy

clrussell

pro-procrastinator
Sep 23, 2013
Tahoe's only have one tank.........

2003+ TCCM is the same regardless of truck, just has a different calibration on the HD vs LD trucks. Just reflash it with an HD cal with a Tech 2.

Thanks for the info ben. I actually thought about bugging you on the subject but I wasn't sure how busy you've been and didn't want to waste your time.:eek:

testdrive

May 28, 2013
Ferman nailed it about the perceived resale value of a conversion. If you do the math, you really have to have a reason to own one. If you have a friend or customer that needs one, that might work. But the resale value under normal terms is not going to make you a lot money.
After 4 years and 100K miles I still smile every time I strike the key in mine. It is the perfect tow vehicle for what I do. I travel far and wide pulling a travel trailer, that is the big reason I built one. I purchased my 03 Suburban new as a 2 wheel drive 8100L gas and now it is a 6.6L Duramax 4 wheel drive with a DSP5.
The big difference is that it can gracefully tow my combined weight of 16000 lbs anywhere I want to go.
Some proven differences between before and after
  • using a 32 gallon normal fill up I get 120- 140 extra miles on a fill while towing! Equal to about 4 miles to the gallons.
  • the comfortable power of the Duramax instead of dreading every little hill and the high RPM of the gas engine
  • the excellent turbo brake that makes towing in the mountains so easy
  • and the comfort that comes with owning a Suburban with AutoRide.
In conclusion it is special use SUV and therefore is worth the conversion price to me.

Last edited:

testdrive

May 28, 2013
Does anyone here own a duramax suburban / tahoe?

How does a guy get ahold of duraburb inc? Eric Swanson 407 497 7031

I've always dreamed of building one for the wife. Since I sold my truck I picked up a super clean 04 Tahoe 1500. Now I'm thinking of building one for me. This tahoe runs and drives like a dream but has 200k on it. I got to thinking I have most of the bigger parts minus an engine. I've got a 05 allision sitting in the shop in good shape. I have a stock intercooler and pipes, headed tomorrow to pick up a harness off a truck before it gets hauled off for scrap. Pretty sure I have an lly engine harness and quite a few other parts.. Some have done the Tahoe and the Yukon. It is a little more difficult but doable, check out Skippie on DP.
What all Is needed im missing? I know transfer case from a dmax truck, the 4x4 switch since mine has auto. Do I need some other module from the truck to do away with auto 4x4? Works best if you have a complete donor truck... save a lot of hunting those little things
Ac lines will be a pain I know because of rear air. But it can be done, because duraburb has done it. It is not that hard and does a Tahoe even have rear air?
What all am I missing? Should I throw the dmax swap out the window?Just depends on what you want to do... I could not think about not owning mine.
Go over on DP in the frankenstein thread and spend a lot of time reading.
You are welcome to PM me or even call me

clrussell

pro-procrastinator
Sep 23, 2013
Hit a gold mine tonight.. Lly heads, fuel rails, ecm, tcm, 4x4 switch, ficm, entire truck under hood harness, power steering pump, ac compressor and lines, acc brackets, ficm bracket and lines some other misc parts... $300

Also have a good lb7 short block and heads I've gotta go pick up.

I just need injectors, fuel lines, turbo, y bridge (aftermarket), manifolds and ups, then I'll have the complete engine set up..

clrussell

pro-procrastinator
Sep 23, 2013
I got lly intake runners and a stock y bridge?

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

I've got those already..

I'm going to check my parts piles for manifolds and up pipes. Thanks for the offer. I'm not planning on doing this conversion for a while. Just gathering parts :eek: