Duck the MANN or throw in the towel?

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
if you didnt have a long bed 8.1, you never towed a trailer very far. My buddy had a 01 CC/SB 8.1 and it towed his 40ft toy hauler well. held 5th on overpasses and what not at 70mph but he averaged 6mpg anytime it was hooked up.

also, for reference. my dad took my moms 98 cc/lb gmc 3500srw 454 and put a 2.1 whipple on it. that truck literally started my whole addiction with towing fast up hills lmao. it was pulling the hills here with a 40ft weekend warrior on the back at the same speeds my new truck is now.... in 2001! i would say weights are very similar overall as well. man i loved that thing, i only got to drive it unsupervised twice lmao.

Reactions: N2BRK and 2004LB7

Dozerboy

Jun 23, 2009
TX of course
LT has been doing a build up of a boosted 8.1 that's cool. The 7.3 is actually damn near identical in power to the 6.6 gas, but it has better gearing options between a 4.30 rear and the 10sp. The IKE challenge had it destroying the 6.6 gas but only because the Chebby was crippled with a 3.73 rear.

I guess I didn't realize the 6.6l was close to the 7.3l. The few guys I know that have them love them.

Are they turboing the 8.1? I feel like a few people tried to turbo 8.1 in the past and they didn't do to well. From what I remember they didn't breathe to well at high RPMs.

Dozerboy

Jun 23, 2009
TX of course
never had a chance to drive either of those but I hear the 8.1 can't drive past any gas stations for fear of running out 😁

From what I recall the mileage was about the same as the 6.0 of that generation. My understanding was the 8.1 was a hell of a alot more durable.

As James alluded to though the 26 gallon tank and a short beds sucks. Even on my LBZ it's a joke towing let alone a gasser.

08lmm72mm

May 13, 2019
Saskatchewan, Canada
What about a L5P and a emissions intact tow tune? I was looking into them and it would put the truck at 550hp and 1200 torque. With all the bolt ons might be able to get 600hp out of it and still be emissions compliant. Not only that but you can get the switchable tunes so you can heavy foot it once and awhile.

Thats max turbo,injector LB7/LLY territory might be slightly higher and a route I'm thinking about going next year. I'd look for a 2019 with the 6 speed so it could be built if needed.

gmduramax

Shits broke
Jun 12, 2008
Nor cal
What about a L5P and a emissions intact tow tune? I was looking into them and it would put the truck at 550hp and 1200 torque. With all the bolt ons might be able to get 600hp out of it and still be emissions compliant. Not only that but you can get the switchable tunes so you can heavy foot it once and awhile.

Thats max turbo,injector LB7/LLY territory might be slightly higher and a route I'm thinking about going next year. I'd look for a 2019 with the 6 speed so it could be built if needed.

I can confirm. Tune only L5P emissions intact hauls ass. Uses about half the def it did stock. Haven’t loaded it down heavy but it will pull any hill at speed.

N2BRK

Dec 31, 2009
Yep - turbo:
Source: https://youtu.be/q_CRCT6kQQE

There’s a guy in my town trying to sell an 8.1. It’s flawless and beautiful. Frame off restoration was performed and it is just beautiful. But I’m not a sheik and I get offended when opec puts me on their holiday card list, so no thanks.

L5P in-tact isn’t for me. I don’t need a diesel, I love diesel. I have two friends with them (a 6 and a 10sp) and they are very nice trucks, but not for me. Both are having DEF issues right now too… again. Nah. For the little bit of power they are getting, losing warranty with a tune doesn’t interest me. The feel is also so numb and hulk’ish. I could slide my LMM around and push the curves and have fun taming the big piggy. The LML doesn’t want any part of that. It’s a beautiful truck though! If I needed a diesel it would probably be on order by now.

N2BRK

Dec 31, 2009
Nah, I’ll stick with 3/4. When I pull private equipment and trailers it’s no big deal but when I need a big tracked skid steer or other equipment, the local rental places won’t even consider allowing a 1500 to hook up. It’s not worth the hassle.

Reactions: 2004LB7

clrussell

pro-procrastinator
Sep 23, 2013
I can't figure out for the life of me why GM is making their trucks feel so 'big'. It's like the hood and dash feel bloated like a hover craft and my 17 f150 company ride feels small like my 08. It's frustrating because I want a new truck but I hate how much of a tank they feel like.
I agree. I drove a 22 2500 Denali Dmax last week across town and hated it. I felt like I was driving a square nose Pete. Couldn’t see shit 10’ in front of the truck.

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
i dont mind the big front end because thats about the only way you are going to get a cooling system worth a shit up there.

what drives me nuts is the giant ass A pillars. between that and the mirrors, there was basically no fricken looking out the sides while scouting :mad:

N2BRK

Dec 31, 2009
i dont mind the big front end because thats about the only way you are going to get a cooling system worth a shit up there.

what drives me nuts is the giant ass A pillars. between that and the mirrors, there was basically no fricken looking out the sides while scouting :mad:
And that's another biggie for me. I'm blind in the right eye and need to be able to see. I put vent-visors on my LMM and it increased the effective width of the passenger side pillar (and its blind spot) and drove me crazy for years; constant head weaving to check. I will not do that again.

N2BRK

Dec 31, 2009
'29 Mr. T edition. Magic bullet proof sheet metal cladding, and some small port holes to look through.

08lmm72mm

May 13, 2019
Saskatchewan, Canada
The big front end doesn't bother me it's the view from the drivers seat and how it feels. The front end seems like there is a giant kitchen table strapped to the front that 10 people can sit at while driving.