Dually to SRW Conversion

Lethlman

Dec 28, 2016
Lebanon, OR
hey guys, I was wondering if anyone knows how I can go to a SRW on my dually. I have heard different stories on how to do this like just taking off the spacers on the front but if anyone can let me know exactly how and what size rims/ tires i would need.

ikeG

Oughta Know Better
Apr 19, 2011
Western PA
www.facebook.com
You will be able to run regular SRW wheels up front then, if you remove the dually adapters. The rear might be a different story. I cannot remember if a regular wheel will clear the brakes and leaf springs. If it does, the only difference in your truck vs. a SRW axle is the track width. Dually axles are wider.

TheBac

Why do I keep doing this?
Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
Jim, isnt it just the front spacers, swap in a regular rear axle, swap long bed, and use the 3500srw steel wheels?

ikeG

Oughta Know Better
Apr 19, 2011
Western PA
www.facebook.com
Wouldnt even have to swap the axle, would you? If you can deal with the increased width. I am not sure at all on what single wheel will work on the rear if running a DRW axle.

Lethlman

Dec 28, 2016
Lebanon, OR
Well i like the width of the dually maybe just a little narrower, but id like to just be able to offset the rear wheel a lottle to center it and use a really wide tire. Iv heard it can be dont i just dont know what all i need to do.

ikeG

Oughta Know Better
Apr 19, 2011
Western PA
www.facebook.com
First thing to do is borrow someone's set of srw wheels/tires and mount one on the rear to see how much backspacing is needed(if any) to clear leafsprings and also how small a diameter wheel you can get away with. I really think regular 16" pyos from that year will fit on the rear but i cant remember.

ikeG

Oughta Know Better
Apr 19, 2011
Western PA
www.facebook.com
Slightly off topic but I just swapped a set of pyo's onto a 06 3500 srw because the original 3500-specific steelies were crappy. They are a half inch wider than the pyo. Way heavier obviously too. If they were not so dang heavy they would be the better wheel to run.