Dual Fueler/10mm stroker pump surge

D1rty-max

Spare some change?
Jul 16, 2015
Longview, TX
Got my built motor back in and everything running. I let the truck idle for about 30min checking for leaks etc. It ran great/idled smooth however once it reaches operating temp rail starts to fall, and will slowly creep down to 1.5k then it 'catches itself' and if in gear it bucks and rail jumps back up to around 4-5k, only to slowly climb back down again. It only does this when fully warmed up. Iv checked for leaks etc. My question is this, Im running a 10mm Fleece Power-Flow 750 in the valley with a stock pump up top. Will the dual-fueler controller need to be calibrated for the extra fuel of the stroker pump? What could be causing the surging/rail slowly falling? :confused:

Last edited:

gmduramax

Shits broke
Jun 12, 2008
Nor cal
One of the pumps bad? Had a truck with two stock pumps and it wouldn't hold rail and it was inconsistent. Try unhooking the top pump and only run it with the valley pump.

D1rty-max

Spare some change?
Jul 16, 2015
Longview, TX
One of the pumps bad? Had a truck with two stock pumps and it wouldn't hold rail and it was inconsistent. Try unhooking the top pump and only run it with the valley pump.

I just wonder why it doesn't do it until it is at operating temp? Id think it would surge and drop off consistently? I can try just unhooking the top pump and see what it does. Does the PPE dual pump controller not need to be programmed for the additional fuel of the 10mm pump?

D1rty-max

Spare some change?
Jul 16, 2015
Longview, TX
Something I am kinda worried about, is when it was time to crank the new motor we cranked on it for about 30sec before realizing we didn't prime the fuel system...It was late, and we were tired. I figured since the pumps are generally flow tested and a little diesel is in them that maybe there was enough lubrication to not do any harm? The truck starts great, and runs great just after its warmed up and at operating temp is when it starts acting funny. What do you guys think???

gmduramax

Shits broke
Jun 12, 2008
Nor cal
I just wonder why it doesn't do it until it is at operating temp? Id think it would surge and drop off consistently? I can try just unhooking the top pump and see what it does. Does the PPE dual pump controller not need to be programmed for the additional fuel of the 10mm pump?

The controller just splits the signal between two pumps

D1rty-max

Spare some change?
Jul 16, 2015
Longview, TX
Well truck only revs up to 2k rpm like it's in a limped state but no trouble codes wonder if maybe a corrupt tune could be what I'm dealing with rail is a steady 10k when it revs to 2k and with the old tune it revs up fine

Ne-max

I like turtles
Nov 15, 2011
Lincoln, Ne
I was always told you do not mix a stroker pump with a stocker. Also double check to make sure controller is for right motor. On my LBZ the rail pressure is higher until engine is up to temp. Then drops down. Helps with haze at idle.

D1rty-max

Spare some change?
Jul 16, 2015
Longview, TX
Ok guys after idling for about 30-45min I finally got it to start doing it. You can give it throttle and absolutely nothing happens in drive when it starts doing it, truck doesn't rev or anything as soon as you put it in park you can rev it again. Here's a really good video I managed to get of the the surging. I'm at a total loss at what it could be, maybe a faulty controller from PPE?? Hopefully the video will provide a lot of clarity in this issue!

https://youtu.be/sbC9MiTjF1I

Last edited:

D1rty-max

Spare some change?
Jul 16, 2015
Longview, TX
Well, isolated everything to just the valley pump takes 10 seconds to crank idles for a second and dies. :( gonna try swapping the regulator, sure sucks if a brand new pump is bad. Sure hope the rest of the fuel system isn't contaminated if it is a bad pump.

Drock

Apr 20, 2015
Garrison ND
I may sound like a dumbass here but make sure your main feed from the lift pump isn't mixed up. I had the same issue and that's what it was.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

D1rty-max

Spare some change?
Jul 16, 2015
Longview, TX
I may sound like a dumbass here but make sure your main feed from the lift pump isn't mixed up. I had the same issue and that's what it was.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So you had the Return and Feed swapped right at the cp3? Ill take a look in the morning! That would be some shit if they were backwards LOL.