DSP5 Problem

SSchmi5519

LLY Cult Leader
Oct 19, 2008
Arizona
What other readings do you get? DSP #4 should be 1.5v Could have a problem with that specific resistor in the switch.
DSP5:
#1=No resist
#2=3.5v
#3=2.5v
#4=1.5v
#5=0.5v

Mar 28, 2015
Blue Springs, MO
What other readings do you get? DSP #4 should be 1.5v Could have a problem with that specific resistor in the switch.
DSP5:
#1=No resist
#2=3.5v
#3=2.5v
#4=1.5v
#5=0.5v

Ok I definitely have a problem then. I will buy a new switch. Thanks!

#1 = 4.6
#2 = 3.6
#3 = 2.6
#4 = moves constantly between 2.75 and 3.75
#5 = 4.99

SSchmi5519

LLY Cult Leader
Oct 19, 2008
Arizona
Ok I definitely have a problem then. I will buy a new switch. Thanks!

#1 = 4.6
#2 = 3.6
#3 = 2.6
#4 = moves constantly between 2.75 and 3.75
#5 = 4.99

Do you have both wires pinned into the ECM? Meaning your ground is coming from the ECM and not somewhere else like having the end cut off the wire and grounding to chassis?

SSchmi5519

LLY Cult Leader
Oct 19, 2008
Arizona
If the voltage from the DSP5 switch to the ECM is less than this value (the voltages I listed) but more than the next higher DSP voltage, DSP5 Program will be selected.
If the voltage is ABOVE this value, the next lower DSP will be used.

The DSP5 switch voltage can be monitored in the scantool using the PID - E35.DSP5_VOLTS_DMA

Sorry if that is confusing. I tried to take the wordage from EFI Live and change it for this application. I think I may have even confused myself haha.

Last edited:
Mar 28, 2015
Blue Springs, MO
They are pinned straight to the ECM. Is there any point in taking the switch out of the equation and seeing if I can switch tunes using my Autocal? If it helps any, I don't know if my DSP5 switch ever worked right from the beginning. There is a diesel performance place up the street from my house that I can get a new switch from today if I need to.

I will monitor the voltage after work today and let you know exactly what they are in each position.

yellowchevy

Sep 9, 2010
Louisburg, KS for now
On a side note: If I remember right theres a capacitor in the switch to control fluctuation but that would effect all positions. That's all I can thing of for the switch.

If for some reason they don't have one Nathan let me know, I can get one up to you being you're so close.

Yellowchevy

Mar 28, 2015
Blue Springs, MO
On a side note: If I remember right theres a capacitor in the switch to control fluctuation but that would effect all positions. That's all I can thing of for the switch.

If for some reason they don't have one Nathan let me know, I can get one up to you being you're so close.

Yellowchevy

Does your $50 switch come with a free turbo ;)? I appreciate all the help. I am going to disconnect the switch today and see if I can switch tunes with my autocal. I will let you know on the switch! Who knows, maybe I will just drive out and see the shop sometime soon.

yellowchevy

Sep 9, 2010
Louisburg, KS for now
Does your $50 switch come with a free turbo ;)? I appreciate all the help. I am going to disconnect the switch today and see if I can switch tunes with my autocal. I will let you know on the switch! Who knows, maybe I will just drive out and see the shop sometime soon.

Haha, my turbo's come with a free DSP 5 switch!!!:D:roflmao:
Being you're close we could work out some turbo deals so I can get more feed back!!:thumb:

No worries, just let me know. You're best to wait a few months. All my tools are on a trailer at my buddies place as we're getting our house ready to sell. We bought 20 acres east of us so we're packing up as fast as I can!!

Yellowchevy

Josh154

Sep 28, 2015
Sioux Falls SD
Your voltages sounds a lot like mine when i had the ground in the wrong position. I emailed kory a pic of my pin location and he corrected me and i got it wired in right. Make sure that your ground is in the right location.

Mar 28, 2015
Blue Springs, MO
Haha, my turbo's come with a free DSP 5 switch!!!:D:roflmao:
Being you're close we could work out some turbo deals so I can get more feed back!!:thumb:

No worries, just let me know. You're best to wait a few months. All my tools are on a trailer at my buddies place as we're getting our house ready to sell. We bought 20 acres east of us so we're packing up as fast as I can!!

Yellowchevy
I don't have enough money for you to move closer!

Your voltages sounds a lot like mine when i had the ground in the wrong position. I emailed kory a pic of my pin location and he corrected me and i got it wired in right. Make sure that your ground is in the right location.

That's actually a really good possibility. I will be looking into this right when I get home. I need to find a good picture of the correct pin location to double check this.

yellowchevy

Sep 9, 2010
Louisburg, KS for now
I don't have enough money for you to move closer!
That's actually a really good possibility. I will be looking into this right when I get home. I need to find a good picture of the correct pin location to double check this.

Haha, it's a lateral move so I would be closer to Missouri!!:thumb:
PM or call me some time. You'll be surprised what we can work out with you be close and me getting feed back!!:D:thumb:

Yellowchevy

Mar 28, 2015
Blue Springs, MO
Haha, it's a lateral move so I would be closer to Missouri!!:thumb:
PM or call me some time. You'll be surprised what we can work out with you be close and me getting feed back!!:D:thumb:

Yellowchevy

Yep definitely too close for my bank account. I have several friends that live in Harrisonville so I will definitely come by when you get set up.

By the way the new switch fixed the problem. I am positive the old one never worked which means it probably defaulted to the stock tune that whole time. I feel like I threw a piece of my life away lol!

yellowchevy

Sep 9, 2010
Louisburg, KS for now
Well awesome! Let me know if you need any help moving. I don't have a trailer but I obviously have a truck and hands.

Glad your new switch fixed the problem, it does suck you didn't have a working one to begin with it!!

Thanks for the offer, we'll see what happen, I might need a hand!!:thumb:
I'm hoping to have the basement cleaned out and ready to put on the market by the end of the weekend but we'll see what happens.

Yellowchevy