Help: DSP5 and no run?

Diesel Pilot

Hat? Suitcase? 50 BMG?
Aug 9, 2006
Pickerington, OH
A local d-max owner called me today with a bit of a problem.

He was trying to install a DSP 5 on an 03. He said that he got the wires in the correct #69 and #49. Went to start the truck up and nothing happened. He played around with it for a while and still no start.

Then he pulled the wires from the ecm connectors and still no start.

All of this went down with the stock tune in the truck, no tuning had been done yet.

I'm not really much help with the DSP stuff since I don't have it. Do you have to have a DSP cal. in the ecm for truck to run? Also, shouldn't the truck be fine even with the wires removed?

I told him that it sounded like the ecm connectors were not all the way in. Truck had electrical power and it wasn't a VATS issue from the sound of things.

Any ideas? :confused:

McRat

Diesel Hotrodder
Aug 2, 2006
Norco CA
www.mcratracing.com
The two wires EFILive uses aren't necessary for engine operation.

He must have a bent pin, pushed in pin, or unseated connector.

Or something 100% unrelated to the ECM?

LarryJewell

Back with his honey :)
Jan 21, 2007
San Angelo
the dsp switch doesnt become active until a dsp operating system is flashed, meaning that his stock tune is active right now until you flash the dsp5 tune. It sounds like he has some pins not fully seated if this happened after he installed the switch, and it could be any of the pins, not just 1 of the pins for the dsp cable.

duramaximizer

#1 Abuse Enabler ;)
May 4, 2008
Edgerton, Ohio
could have accidential had one of the pins touch another pin or piece of metal while doing the DSP install and blowed an ECM fuse. Be sure and check the fuses under the hood. Don't ask me how I know. :eek:

Good luck, I bet it is an ECM fuse. (under the hood fuse box)

Last edited:

Trippin

SoCal Diesel
Aug 10, 2006
Sounds like he doesn't have the ECM connectors seated properly. A fairly common mistake.

JOHNBOY

< Rocking the Big Single!
Aug 30, 2006
Saegertown, Pa
An odd thing to look out for is did he put the plastic cover back over it?

If something lays acrossed an uncovered ECM and it is a path way to ground it will cause a no start.