drivetrain noise on decel without braking.

Veikra

Dec 19, 2011
Montreal, Canada
I have a noise when I let off the throttle. its a grrgrrgrrgrr in time with the wheel rotation, feels like a wheel bearing. It shakes the truck like a disbalanced tire. But the harder I brake, the less prominent it is. Also completely disappear if the load on is minimal. doesnt happen on hard accel, only on decels

It's kind of a gear noise not meshing right. Im tempted to say rear diff but I dont know when the carrier bearing was done last, or ever. I have no play in front bearings and they turn smooth.

Veikra

Dec 19, 2011
Montreal, Canada
Ok I tried , but it didnt do it. Maybe it needs load like the engine compressing from the weight of the truck. Ill think Ill open the rear end and check. Put a little marking yellow and check pattern?

Veikra

Dec 19, 2011
Montreal, Canada
I think I found it ! Had a load in the bed and it started doing it on accel. So I stopped and found a slack U-joint on the differential .

That must be it ! I'll change it monday and post if it was the culprit.

Awenta

Sep 28, 2014
CT
You can put load on the engine with the brakes. Use spicer non greasable u joints.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Veikra

Dec 19, 2011
Montreal, Canada
No couldnt, it was only doing it the opposite way. Using brake similated driving off with load, not decelerating or coasting. :)

I took what they had in store and it's greaseble. Im very gentle on that truck, do I have to worry about the greasable one I got ?

N2BRK

Dec 31, 2009
Should be a 1480 or 1410. Your local driveline shop should know which and have either in stock.