Driver's side exhaust Manifold

5LTREATR

Oracle
Apr 10, 2009
Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
Hey guys I am just wondering here in Canada I can get a drivers side exhaust manifold for $495.00 taxes in do you guys think that this is worth it. Is this mod worth the money and does it really reduce the exhaust temperatures that much. I am also told that the turbo will spool much faster. Please let me know what you guys think.

Thanks

paint94979

Beer Nazi
Sep 18, 2006
Hey guys I am just wondering here in Canada I can get a drivers side exhaust manifold for $495.00 taxes in do you guys think that this is worth it. Is this mod worth the money and does it really reduce the exhaust temperatures that much. I am also told that the turbo will spool much faster. Please let me know what you guys think.

Thanks

NO WAY IN HELL... i assume you are referring to a BD Driver Side Manifold? They can be had for under 300$ + shipping. You can buy aftermarket up pipes for around 700$ that will increase hp, make spool up much faster and lower EGT's

5LTREATR

Oracle
Apr 10, 2009
Thats the thing it sure seems like alot of money. I was told by a guy that if the passenger side exhaust temp is 1350 that the drivers side is around 1800 so I am all concerned 500 is not a lot of money if it saves my engine! I just want to make sure that I am being told the truth.

paint94979

Beer Nazi
Sep 18, 2006
Thats the thing it sure seems like alot of money. I was told by a guy that if the passenger side exhaust temp is 1350 that the drivers side is around 1800 so I am all concerned 500 is not a lot of money if it saves my engine! I just want to make sure that I am being told the truth.

that is a lie... 550* difference, that guy is full of shit. Look into aftermarket up pipes there you will see the benefit. I still run a stock driver side manifold...

MadMaxx61

Devilmaxx
Oct 13, 2008
Windsor, Ont, Canada
www.alligatorperformance.com 300.00 USD

http://www.dieselperformance.com/index.php/product/index/101P Right from BD it is 325.00 USD

BD is in Canada so it is odd that it is more here then in the US and both are in USD.

Manifold_Duramax_Compare.jpg

Last edited:

BlkMax

Sep 1, 2008
Wasilla, AK
If you keep an eye on the boards they do come up used. I found one for $200 USD + shipping.

It just depends on how long you are willing to wait.

I'm not sure about the difference in EGT's side to side, but it has to help.

FWIW, someone here has some RDL up pipes for sale used.

hondarider552

Getting faster
May 28, 2008
Arizona

Tell your buddy to send me whatever he's smoking, sure sounds good.

FMOS

Hard Up
Nov 19, 2008
Fort McMurray, Alberta, Canada
The RDL manifolds and uppipes will be like putting a set of "headers" on your truck.

The EGT's should be much, if any higher on the drivers side. The same amount of fuel gets burnt, same amount of energy into the exhaust. Only diff is maybe slightly more back pressure on the drivers side. I wouldn't worry about it too much.

I do believe it was my driver side rear portion headgasket that let loose... I can't be sure though.

I put a BD manifold on when I did the head gaskets and turbo. I recall it being close to 600 bucks.

othrgrl

Diesel Addiction Owner
Mar 10, 2008
Wilmington NC
www.mydieseladdiction.com
IMHO I don't think the BD manifold is worth much if anything, let alone $495. As has been said go for some performance up-pipes or even better the cast flow manifolds and custom up-pipes. You will get real, measurable results and gains from them - no one has been able to measure an improvement with the BD manifold.

willis_bud2

messcan wrangler
Apr 20, 2009
Del Rio, TX
The only reason I got it was because it came pre-tapped for the EGT probe. That was the only real benefit besides flowing a little better. I didn't want to drill into my passenger side manifold and risk it cracking later on down the line so I went ahead and bought the SD manifold. Looking back, I prolly could have spent the $300 on something more beneficial. All in all though, I am happy with it.

PS - If you do buy it have fun bending the heat shield. It was tedious and a pain in the ass. Took me two beers to get it right!!:eek:

othrgrl

Diesel Addiction Owner
Mar 10, 2008
Wilmington NC
www.mydieseladdiction.com
The only reason I got it was because it came pre-tapped for the EGT probe. That was the only real benefit besides flowing a little better. I didn't want to drill into my passenger side manifold and risk it cracking later on down the line so I went ahead and bought the SD manifold. Looking back, I prolly could have spent the $300 on something more beneficial. All in all though, I am happy with it.

PS - If you do buy it have fun bending the heat shield. It was tedious and a pain in the ass. Took me two beers to get it right!!:eek:

I bought one because back then everyone was saying to get one, no one said it wouldn't have measurable gains, and there weren't these other options then. And like you I was worried about the passenger side manifold cracking if I drilled and tapped it. Now I have drilled and tapped dozens of manifolds while installing gauges and never had one crack yet. If you have one crack I have a few laying around the shop that I will send out for the cost of shipping.

FWIW I am a dealer for BD and could sell you one for $310 (US) shipped.

willis_bud2

messcan wrangler
Apr 20, 2009
Del Rio, TX
I gave up on the heat shield.

I almost did! I'd get it to where I thought it needed to be and then one or two of the bolts wouldn't line up. PISSED ME OFF...BAD!! :cussing: I tried this several times and then finally managed to get it into place. I hope I never have to take it off again!

coldLBZ

Apr 22, 2007
Alberta, Canada
I agree on the heat shield being a real pain. I had to beat the hell out of mine, and make a few relief cuts. FWIW I paid about $350 for mine.

5LTREATR

Oracle
Apr 10, 2009
Thanks for all the info guys I am still not sure what i should do BD wil sell me one direct for $335.00 Canadian funds but I have to pay the shipping of about $18.00 so I still am not sure what I should do I was told by one guy that on the 06 it is the best thing that you could do and that up pipes don't actually help that much so I have no idea anymore.