Drivers side dipstick from lml on Lbz

boost_clown

Jan 26, 2016
kalamazoo mi
Ok so I read about putting the trans dipstick on from the lml and cutting 6.25" off to make it the right length, seems all fine and dandy. Some People mention relocating the ficm to the firewall for clearance. Could I just put a bend in the tube instead? Does Anyone have pics of their fleece/merchant/whoever drivers side dip stick or pics of the modified lml one. Id just check it myself but the trans is out of my truck so i can't mock it up very well.

Pic of my lml tube for fun:
eeb8afdac7b9847adfc8621057e33ec6.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LBZ

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jul 2, 2007
B.C.
Biggest advantage to just moving the gpcm is that it gets it out of the way off the engine and you can get rid of that pos bracket and the 7 bolts that hold it on.

Sent from my D5803 using Tapatalk

boost_clown

Jan 26, 2016
kalamazoo mi
Biggest advantage to just moving the gpcm is that it gets it out of the way off the engine and you can get rid of that pos bracket and the 7 bolts that hold it on.

Do you end up with the gpcm just mounted by one stud on the firewall then?

jliddle

Jun 30, 2012
NC
So 6.25 removed from the LML tube will give an accurate measurement with the factory dipstick?

boost_clown

Jan 26, 2016
kalamazoo mi
Maybe it wasn't 6.25". That's what I thought I remembered reading, I'll provided an accurate measurement when I actually cut mine. I think I am gonna relocate my gpcm instead of trying to bend the dipstick tube, mostly because I'm lazy

BlkMax

Sep 1, 2008
Wasilla, AK
It will still crowd the back of the left head, even when cut. I went back to a Merchant tube on Emma, too much of a PITA with the LML tube.

jliddle

Jun 30, 2012
NC
Might be worth the hassle just to drop the 80-100 on an actual tube that's built to fit. Piece of mind anyways.

boost_clown

Jan 26, 2016
kalamazoo mi
It will still crowd the back of the left head, even when cut. I went back to a Merchant tube on Emma, too much of a PITA with the LML tube.

Might be worth the hassle just to drop the 80-100 on an actual tube that's built to fit. Piece of mind anyways.

I disagree there. I would never forgive myself for paying $100 for a part when I could have bought one for $14 and had the same result. But then again I'm the same guy that cracked a piston and didn't replace all 8. Most people get pretty uncomfortable when I tell them that haha

custom8726

Feb 25, 2008
Upstate N.Y
I disagree there. I would never forgive myself for paying $100 for a part when I could have bought one for $14 and had the same result. But then again I'm the same guy that cracked a piston and didn't replace all 8. Most people get pretty uncomfortable when I tell them that haha

X2, ^^ cost me 11 bucks and 5 minutes of my time to cut it down

LBZ

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jul 2, 2007
B.C.
I wish someone could get an accurate amount on how much to cut off for a 6 speed classic body. I have no factory dipstick or tube to fill the trans with and then use that level as a guide on how much to trim off the lml tube.

boost_clown

Jan 26, 2016
kalamazoo mi
I wish someone could get an accurate amount on how much to cut off for a 6 speed classic body. I have no factory dipstick or tube to fill the trans with and then use that level as a guide on how much to trim off the lml tube.

I'll measure it for you when I cut mine

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk