LB7: Dreaded White Smoke

WhiteLightning

Mar 15, 2016
East Tennessee
Hey guys, I'm new to the forum and a fairly new Duramax owner (May 2015). I purchased the truck with 236k miles and it currently has 251k. The truck is running EFI with 5 position switch and has a 5in straight pipe all the way to the turbo.

Here is my issue, about 6k miles ago I blew my head gasket and got in to some serious issues with the repair. One of the heads ended up having some pin holes in it and had to be replaced. Long story short after an expensive repair job that totaled around $5,000 I got the truck back. The mechanic did replace the head studs with ARB studs to prevent another blowout. However he did not change the injector lines. The injectors were changed under warranty at 200k, but I have no clue if the lines were replaced.

I planned on waiting to replace them for a bit longer, but after a long trip (800 miles) I pulled off to refuel and noticed a large cloud of white smoke while idling at the red light. My oil pressure had decreased to around 40psi. I had been running the truck with my Econ tune, plus 50hp I believe, most of the trip. Once I noticed the smoke I turned it back to stock to try and reduce the stress on the injectors. After driving it on stock for a few more days I've noticed that after an interstate run the smoke level is greatly reduced however it is still puffing a little once the engine is good and warm. I have made some oil, but not an excessive amount. I am really hoping to avoid a full injector replacement job immediately, but I have learned enough to know that it is inevitable. I am decently mechanically inclined and have a pretty good amount of tools at my disposal.

One option I've looked in to is replacing the lines and using the GM upper engine injector cleaner to help prolong their lifespan for a bit. I've read some things here at Duramax forum and elsewhere that says you can drive the truck for up to 20,000 miles after initial failure signs as long as the oil is regularly changed. Can any of you experience folks answer this question as well verifying the worth of doing the injector cleaning? My last question is when the time comes to replace the injectors should I upgrade to higher hp rated injectors or go back with factory.
Thanks,
Brandon.

MadMax17

Mar 26, 2015
maricopa, az
I am by no means an LB7 expert but I am a diesel mechanic for a living and I have seen what fuel in the oil does to bearings. With 251k and fuel in the oil you are playing with fire. I don't mean to scare you but if it were my truck I would refrain from driving it until the injectors were done. In my opinion the injector cleaning and lines are a waste of money at this point, the damage is already done inside the injectors. Look around on here and you can find some pretty straight forward threads on doing the actual injector replacement.

Brent@LDS

Vendor
Vendor/Sponsor
Aug 23, 2011
Wisconsin
I would consider getting the injectors fixed soon before you have more issues! Do you have any future plans with the truck? Mods?

Bfever74

Feb 12, 2016
Quad Cities, IL
I wouldn't wait either. Bearing replacement is no where near as easy as injectors. I put in a set from LDS last month and now I have no worries about the bottom end. Good price for a great product. And I would get the premium install kit with the new lines if your budget can handle it. I've heard of people cleaning them, but the peace of mind was worth it for me. I drive 35k miles a year for work, I can't afford for my truck to be down

WhiteLightning

Mar 15, 2016
East Tennessee
Alright... Well can someone guide me in the right direction for a diy replacement. The problem with not driving all together is that it's my daily driver. I've been trying to be as gentle as I can with it, and I had the oil changed yesterday. I don't commute but a few miles back and forth to school during the week. Being a student how much time will I need to do an injector swap? Also what am I looking at cost wise for doing it myself vs. paying a shop to do it? Thanks for the advice guys.

Brent@LDS

Vendor
Vendor/Sponsor
Aug 23, 2011
Wisconsin
Alright... Well can someone guide me in the right direction for a diy replacement. The problem with not driving all together is that it's my daily driver. I've been trying to be as gentle as I can with it, and I had the oil changed yesterday. I don't commute but a few miles back and forth to school during the week. Being a student how much time will I need to do an injector swap? Also what am I looking at cost wise for doing it myself vs. paying a shop to do it? Thanks for the advice guys.

Parts will run you around $2k vs having a shop do them your looking at $4k or so. Let us know if you need any help or install insight.

lemay153

Mar 1, 2012
Before going crazy try 200:1 2 stroke oil. I had white smoke and thought I had a dirty injector that wasn't closing all the way. It literally cleared everything up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WhiteLightning

Mar 15, 2016
East Tennessee
Well the truck is now starting to leak fuel after getting it fully warmed up and driving it for over 30 min. Not oil fuel mix, pure fuel. I have a friend who had a similar issue with a work truck and he said that it was a result of a leaky return line. I'm going to a shop today to have the diagnostics read on the injectors. I will post an update once I figure out exactly what's going on.

nwodiesel

Mar 29, 2014
Thunder Bay, Ontario, Canada
I did my own injectors and I can say from first hand experience that when you take the lines off the rust from the threads goes straight into the injectors. It nearly impossible for it not too happen. It may be a leaky rtn line also, but Id bet you have a stuck open squirter from all the remnants of the removal.