Drag racing questions?????

02duramaxfan

May 13, 2013
virginia
Yeah I had it data logged twice he made some changes for me...Im just one of them guys that doesn't like nagging people all the time.

I didn't know if maybe I just wasn't doing something right so I would ask y'all on here.

02duramaxfan

May 13, 2013
virginia
I let has a djm 3/5 drop and Qa1 shocks on it
Air pressure was high like 40-45 I just assumed since it was when 4x4 that wouldn't matter that much

OregonDMAX

NOT IN OREGON, NO DURAMAX
Apr 28, 2013
Goodyear, AZ
It does matter, but for what it's worth with a simar suspension setup to you i cut a 1.7 my first pass ever.

There are just so many variables. Altitude, humidity, wind, track prep, track temp, air temp, tire temp, tire pressure and so on.

Burn Down

Hotrodder
Sep 14, 2008
Boise Idaho
I let has a djm 3/5 drop and Qa1 shocks on it
Air pressure was high like 40-45 I just assumed since it was when 4x4 that wouldn't matter that much
I meant traction bars or spring clamps? My bud Reece has pulled 1.6 60's with worn out shocks, 20" 420's, & Long traction bars. I can't remember what his tire pressure were but they were low, 25-28 front and 20 ish rear.
It does matter, but for what it's worth with a simar suspension setup to you i cut a 1.7 my first pass ever.

There are just so many variables. Altitude, humidity, wind, track prep, track temp, air temp, tire temp, tire pressure and so on.

This^^^ so many variables...

It's not one thing but rather a combo of things that will make you fast or slow:thumb:

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
so many variables here.

that 83 turbine and 1.10 housing is not helping spool up at all

have you gone through the front end and checked for any loose or bent?

what are the shocks set to for the track? dual or single adjsutable?

cal tracs or axle wrap bars on the ass end?

how long have you let the trans learn to the new tunes and WOT shifting?

what size tire are you running?

ScreaminDuramax

Sep 19, 2013
Torrance
I was having the hardest time getting out of the hole and cutting good times with my 420s, I didn't feel like airing down at the track since I didn't have a air pump. I was getting frustrated with my times and my hop off the line. aired down and all of my problems went away. I went 22 in the front and 20 in the back. cut a 1.65 60' and ran my fastest time, now I cut consistent 1.6x 60'

02duramaxfan

May 13, 2013
virginia
so many variables here.

that 83 turbine and 1.10 housing is not helping spool up at all

have you gone through the front end and checked for any loose or bent?

what are the shocks set to for the track? dual or single adjsutable?

cal tracs or axle wrap bars on the ass end?

how long have you let the trans learn to the new tunes and WOT shifting?

what size tire are you running?

Yes I have traction bars on the rear
I also have a straight center link on the front end
I am running 305/50s for tires
The new tunes have been on for for roughly 1500 miles and I have prolly 4x4 launched it roughly 10 times

02duramaxfan

May 13, 2013
virginia
I am going back to the track on Friday to get some more passes in

I will just air the tires down and give it another shot

Anybody know how to upload any videos I would like to post one up from last weekend see what y'all think

Chevy1925

Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
I am going back to the track on Friday to get some more passes in

I will just air the tires down and give it another shot

Anybody know how to upload any videos I would like to post one up from last weekend see what y'all think

upload them to youtube. i can tell you alot from a video (if they are close enough to the truck)

DMAXchris

It’s only temporary!
Apr 28, 2009
Natrona Heights PA
You need to take your time and let some heat build in the turbo. Gotta have at least 1000* on the egt gauge. The Garrett turbo will come up faster since it was ball bearing.

If its pushing through the brakes change the power steering fluid. If that doesnt help check for wheel speed sensor codes. Maybe a 2nd gear start will be needed because of the taller gears.

The 83mm turbine will rob you of power. You might make 50 less hp compared to the 87mm. The Dmax likes an 87 with a 1.0 a/r.

Chevy1925

Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
https://youtu.be/aTiBG61KPN4

https://youtu.be/es4d0USJ3gQ

Here's two videos.
I used my brothers account btw

first vid, you left too hard and the truck has a bad bounce. i cant see what your front tires are doing but you shocks need tuning. second one you didnt leave hard enough.

the no smoke i can bet you money is from you hitting the rev limiter cause you are blowing through the converter bad and not hitting lock up till the point the smoke clears (cause the ECM has pulled back fuel from hitting the rev limiter)

02duramaxfan

May 13, 2013
virginia
In the first video I left atound 15 psi and it did hop... Could that possible be to much air in my tires

I thought about getting a lock up box but everybody told me that the tcm tune was good enough I'm still on the fence about

And should it smoke more while I am trying to spool it I feel like it just hazes during and then after I launch it fuels hard

ScreaminDuramax

Sep 19, 2013
Torrance
In the first video I left atound 15 psi and it did hop... Could that possible be to much air in my tires

I thought about getting a lock up box but everybody told me that the tcm tune was good enough I'm still on the fence about

And should it smoke more while I am trying to spool it I feel like it just hazes during and then after I launch it fuels hard

I have had multiple people tune my TCM and I still cant get my converter to lock like it does when my BT lock up box is on Auto mode, its perfect for drag racing. Locks as soon as it clicks in to second and doesn't unlock till you let off. Worth it in my book,

Once you air down you are going to be amazed, your first launch was what my launches were like before I aired down

Chevy1925

Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az

The hop is from something unloading. Suspension or tires or something else. That video is too unclear to tell what it is exactly.

Are your shocks not adjustable? You keep passing by that question and suggestion about them

I know of plenty of guys pushing 1.6 60s at 40-45psi in those tires. Too less and the center of the tire rolls in and you loose traction. What that point is is different on each setup

Tcm tune is not the same as having someone make it a lock up tune. Depending on how old that tcm tune is, it could have been before we had the tables to make the TC lock up in second like it should. Specially if that was an old sled puller, TC lock up isn't an issue like it is drag racing

02duramaxfan

May 13, 2013
virginia
Yes the shocks are adjustable

The truck with the same suspension set up last year cut 1.6 and ran like a scolded ape it the same tcm tune as last year nothing changed in that regards

I changed a few things and now it won't do it hell it might just be the driver....
Just trying to get things figured out on this truck

Last edited: