Diy cp3 mod??

custom8726

Feb 25, 2008
Upstate N.Y
Ok so I spent the last HR or so reading about different CP3 options. I would like to know if I should tackle the DIY cp3 mods for my current set-up? My understanding is that it does in fact help but an erratic idle may be part of the result? The Idle issue can be tuned out with EFI only? Is it better to mod my LLY regulater or just buy a LBZ regulater? or is a DIY modded LLY regulater essentially a LBZ regulater? I am interested in helping my PPE 425 tune run properly. As it is right now the 350 tune runs stronger. Going back to the LBZ CP3, will that out flow a DIY modded LLY CP3?

ANYWAYS, Option #1. DIY LLY CP3 mod
#2. LBZ CP3
#3. aftermarket modded single CP3
#4. dual CP3's
And lastly # 5. You (AS IN ME) do not have enough mods to mess with the CP3's yet. ;) Thanks in advance:)

Last edited:

paint94979

Beer Nazi
Sep 18, 2006
Ok so I spent the last HR or so reading about different CP3 options. I would like to know if I should tackle the DIY cp3 mods for my current set-up? My understanding is that it does in fact help but an erratic idle may be part of the result? The Idle issue can be tuned out with EFI only? Is it better to mod my LLY regulater or just buy a LBZ regulater? or is a DIY modded LLY regulater essentially a LBZ regulater? I am interested in helping my PPE 425 tune run properly. As it is right now the 325 tune runs stronger. Going back to the LBZ CP3, will that out flow a DIY modded LLY CP3?

ANYWAYS, Option #1. DIY LLY CP3 mod
#2. LBZ CP3
#3. aftermarket modded single CP3
#4. dual CP3's
And lastly # 5. You (AS IN ME) do not have enough mods to mess with the CP3's yet. ;) Thanks in advance:)

a modded regulator will be enough for you. Get Dual CP3's when you have an aftermarket turbo.

custom8726

Feb 25, 2008
Upstate N.Y
Ok, checked out the Wicked Diesel kit, is that enough with my other mods to run the PPE 425 tune to its full potential? I am thinking not :confused:

custom8726

Feb 25, 2008
Upstate N.Y
Does anyone have a picture of the rectangular hole that needs to be bored out? I seen a DIY for a cummins but I have not found any pictures of the mod for a D-Max. Thanks....

juddski88

Freedom Diesel
Jul 1, 2008
Chesterfield, Mass.
there is a thread on the DP about it and (smokinchevy) just did it and reported great results...not sure on his tuning though it might not be high hp.....and mytymouse (chris) has a thread going here about some homebrew mods and he did this mods as well and reported gains so i am now just wondering if it can be done as easily to a LBZ pump for more gains?

custom8726

Feb 25, 2008
Upstate N.Y
there is a thread on the DP about it and (smokinchevy) just did it and reported great results...not sure on his tuning though it might not be high hp.....and mytymouse (chris) has a thread going here about some homebrew mods and he did this mods as well and reported gains so i am now just wondering if it can be done as easily to a LBZ pump for more gains?

Yup, thats what got me thinking about it;) After signing up for dieselbombers so I could see all the pics I believe I know what needs to be done on the regulater and the gerorator? Is the gerorator or however it's spelled the same on the cummins as the D-Max???

Last edited:

RPM Motorsports

smokinum
May 13, 2008
Central Valley Ca.
Might not hold rail on the 425 tune. I ran it a few times and it fell on it's face by the 1/8mi. My ET was exactly the same as the 350 tune, due to it coming out of the hole a little harder even though it was done by the 1/8th. My CP3 holds rail better then other's running the same tune, I think it's just too much for a stock pump.

Last edited:

sweetdiesel

That's better
Aug 6, 2006
Thailand
I would mod it myself but like Superdiesel said BE CAREFULL i fubared my first attempt

I would do the suction pump to since you have a lly pump