Digital Torque Wrench

Dirtbikindad393

Nov 2, 2008
Moorpark, CA
I am looking to get a digital torque wrench. My son the proffesional motorcycle mechanic has a Snap-On I think. I have 3 manuel click type Snap-On (that I didn't buy) but they don't go down low enough on the ft pounds.

Can anybody recommend a good one and or maybe have a hook up to get a good price on one?

Bluemax

???????????
Sep 25, 2006
Missouri
I have a snap on tech wrench. It does feet, inches, N.M., and angle in deg. all digital. It beeps and vibrates when you get to your torque setting.
They run about $500 or so from the snap on man. It's so much nicer than the clicker types that I have I hardly ever use them anymore.

mytmousemalibu

Cut your ride, sissy!
Apr 12, 2008
Kansas
I have a snap on tech wrench. It does feet, inches, N.M., and angle in deg. all digital. It beeps and vibrates when you get to your torque setting.
They run about $500 or so from the snap on man. It's so much nicer than the clicker types that I have I hardly ever use them anymore.

X2.... and there accuracy is greater or equal to a Click-type. what is also nice is it gives your torque readings in .10 increments aswell. They also have new ones with torque-angle built in now too, witch is nice these days with all the torque-to-yield fasteners now. I hate wrestling around with angle dials! :D

Alligator

Nov 9, 2006
N. Idaho

That's the one we have, works good! Found it on Ebay for half that price.

Cougar281

Sep 11, 2006
St Louis, MO
I'll vote Snap-On as well. After my dealings with Craftsman's 1/2" drive Torque wrench, I'll never buy another on (Craftsman Torque Wrench) again. Thair hand tools are fine, but only a 1 year warranty, and even though my problem with the wrench was a design flaw (It is a Digitork and the rubber handle with the Tq value windows came free from the wrench making it useless), they wouldn't do squat. Snap-on's are spendy, but with a lifetime repair/replace, they're worth it. I recently purchased a 1/2" drive Techangle (the one with the gyro to read degrees as well as Tq; good for TTY bolts), and I like it.

Bluemax

???????????
Sep 25, 2006
Missouri
That's the one we have, works good! Found it on Ebay for half that price.

With the tech-angle and all?
That figures, I didn't pay $500 but I paid a good bit more than half. :rolleyes:
Maybe I can get him to take it back and tell him I haven't used it yet. :D

Fat_Robi

I may be wrong, but...
Sep 7, 2008
Las Vegas, NV / Provo,UT
I have the 1/2, 3/8, 1/4 drive snap-on tech wrenches. Honestly I can't remember what I paid for them but I got a good deal because I paid in cash. Also, the snap-on guy even threw in a sweet case that fits all three. Unfortunately he is in jail now for shady business practices so I no longer get good deals on snap-on stuff. If you want quality and precision snap-on is hard to beat.

bullfrogjohnson

Big Girl!
Nov 20, 2006
Locust, NC
I am personally a MAC man, i have 3/4,1/2, 3/8, clicker type ft/lbs andand 1/4 in/lbs mac torque wrenches and love them. I think snap is overpriced on stuff.

Dirtbikindad393

Nov 2, 2008
Moorpark, CA
Update;

With the 25% off all Craftsman items sale at OSH Hardware this past Saturday I bought a click type 10-75 ft lbs to compliment my others. This takes care of my need for a low range T-wrench for small stuff on the truck as well as my dirtbike.

TrentNell

Finally underway !!!!!
Jul 7, 2008
slc tuah
i have the digital snap on in 3/8 drive and matco clicker in 1/2 drive i am very happy with both so far , i like the digital for 30 ftlbs or less it is real acurate .

B-Dunagan

Mar 31, 2008
Gainesville, GA AKA Little Mexico
Digital torque wrench is a waste of money. Buy yourself a good Proto click type torque wrench. Their is none better. Proto builds most of the larger tool makers torque wrenches. Digital doesn't mean better, it's just another little electronic gadget to malfunction without you knowing it.

NelsonDiesel

Formerly StewieTuned
May 8, 2008
Buena Park, CA
www.NelsonDiesel.com
i use the 3/8 and 1/2 digital one from snap on. They both do the torque angle as well which is a huge plus.

If you want just the digital tq wrench then you can go with craftsmen. seen them on sale a few times.

I love my snap-on ones though.

Cougar281

Sep 11, 2006
St Louis, MO
i use the 3/8 and 1/2 digital one from snap on. They both do the torque angle as well which is a huge plus.

If you want just the digital tq wrench then you can go with craftsmen. seen them on sale a few times.

I love my snap-on ones though.

I would HIGHLY recommend against ANY Craftsman torque wrench. Not worth the money. The Snap On TECH1FR240 (24-240 in lbs) lists as $339 on Snap-On's web site. The TECH2FR100 (5-100 ft lb) is $359. The Craftsman couterparts are about $100 less, but for the extra $100 for the Snap-On, you get LIFETIME repair/replace. The FIRST time you need it repaired/replaced/recalibrated, that extra $100 saved you money. Buy good once, or by junk over and over. I learned my lesson.

Having said that, there's nothing wrong with Craftsman's hand tools that DO carry lifetime replace.

Last edited: