Diesel Additive in an LMM?

fraserg

Oct 25, 2016
Ontario
Got an '07 LMM in October as my first diesel. Only recently read about additives for the first time and decided to pick up some Royal Purple Maxtane. Used one bottle so far and was wondering if I should keep doing it and if it actually makes big difference in the LMM? What kind of additives do people run usually? Truck has 200 000 KM on it now, completely stock.

TheBac

Why do I keep doing this?
Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
Moved to Fluids and Maintenance. Search this section, there are many threads about this subject. I use PowerService when I think of it while fueling. Sometimes 2 stroke. Usually nothing.

N2BRK

Dec 31, 2009
Optilube summer at every fill. In the winter I use the regular stuff from XDP. I hit up biodiesel whenever I pass the station a few towns over. Perfect balance rates

FSUwelder1212

Oct 18, 2012
If you still have DPF intact, additives don't always play nice with them. On my LML optilube caused me more frequent regens, many others have reported the same.

oscyjack

May 7, 2016
Northeast
Stanadyne in every tank, 5% bio. Good balance rates here too. Never run the truck without it so no clue if it does anything for anything but it makes me feel good ;)

TLyons90

Apr 22, 2013
Greenville, SC
I run Amsoil's fuel additive. I've had bad luck with power service and water in fuel lights. Could of just been luck of the draw but I always use the same fuel station.

oscyjack

May 7, 2016
Northeast
I tried optilube and didn't notice a difference, so figured $7.99 for 3 tanks of stanadyne I was better off, available at most stores too.

WVRigrat05

Wound for sound
Jan 1, 2011
French Creek, West Virginia
I think all additives do their job to a point, some people expect it to be a miracle in a bottle, but it's always quieted down my injectors and has increased my mileage by .5-1.5 mpg depending on where I got fuel from.

Obviously it's not going to cure bad injectors or injectors that are already going out, but I believe ANY of them will help with noise and MINOR lubrication.

OregonDMAX

NOT IN OREGON, NO DURAMAX
Apr 28, 2013
Goodyear, AZ
I used power service to prolong some failing injectors and it worked for about a year, I got 160k out of the original set and the last year of power service helped them from 150-160. I tried a few brands and never saw any benefits other than tiny mileage boost but I don't give a shit about fuel mileage or fuel prices so all the snake oils quit being useful to me

N2BRK

Dec 31, 2009
I think all additives do their job to a point, some people expect it to be a miracle in a bottle,

Totally agree. I'll also opine that folks only buy them after there's a problem. My '08 has over 100K and has used some form of additive at almost every fill. A little cleaner in each tank will slow the build up,instead of waiting for it to get bad enough to cause symptoms... and then looking for the miracle in the bottle to reverse years of neglect.

WVRigrat05

Wound for sound
Jan 1, 2011
French Creek, West Virginia
FWIW, I pissed in the fuel tank on the LLY and it made the injectors clatter once and a while til the tank was ran out.

I was drunk at a party years ago and this kid owned a cummins and said he ran oil as yada yada in it, told him a duramax will run on piss, so I proved my point, didn't bother to tell him it had a full tank and the injectors were already bad.

IOWA LLY

Yes, its really me
Feb 23, 2007
I was drunk at a party years ago and this kid owned a cummins and said he ran oil as yada yada in it, told him a duramax will run on piss, so I proved my point, didn't bother to tell him it had a full tank and the injectors were already bad.

I just gotta say something, don't take this wrong cuz I'm sure you and I could have a few laughs over a beer or 12, but your stories always make me laugh. Either your a complete bullshitter, or your the most destructive person on earth. Either way, I love the entertainment value! Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro