Diagnostic reader

Dean E

Mar 30, 2022
Blair, NE
Everyone, I was looking to upgrade my diagnotic reader. Purchased a Autel MK808 and learning to use it but thinking that I might want something that can read injector rates and rail pressures for my LMM. This unit does have all the modules that communicate with the BCM but it might be lacking some of the other things that would be worthwhile. I know many have tuner that can do the real time reading of many diesel items for troubleshooting but what are some of the suggestions for those that have a diagnostic reader that they recommend for the Duramax. Looking for something around the $500 range, the MK808 with discount was $425. Thanks, Dean

2004LB7

Dec 15, 2010
Norcal
whatever you get, make sure it has bidirectional control so you can command service regens, turn off injectors, etc. very helpful for diagnostics

GO0BER

Mar 10, 2022
whatever you get, make sure it has bidirectional control so you can command service regens, turn off injectors, etc. very helpful for diagnostics
I am not super familiar with scan tools.. I have a cheap $25 tool for reading idiot light codes in my car.. what would tell me a scanner is bidirectional? Is this possible in the $500 range?
For the un-initiated (me).. what is a tech 2? Or rather.. what should I be searching online to make sure I find the correct tech 2?

2004LB7

Dec 15, 2010
Norcal
just do a Google search for GM Tech 2 or GM Tech ll and you'll see many options available. the $2k+ ones are more likely the genuine ones or clones trying to pass off as genuine. the few hundred dollar ones are the clones. many here have the clones and do well with them

PureHybrid

Isuzu Shakes IT
Feb 15, 2012
Central OH
The Autel won't read injector balance rates? My cheaper Millennium 90 Pro will do all the above minus the bidirectional controls for under $200

Dean E

Mar 30, 2022
Blair, NE
There is an injector icon for special services but it is talking about encoding. Not sure what that means yet but still trying to figure it out. It can force a regen if needed but just not sure about the other stuff. I see a lot of videos on what it can do but so far i'm not having much luck with it. It might be going back to Amazon after this weekend if I can't figure some of this out. Dean

PureHybrid

Isuzu Shakes IT
Feb 15, 2012
Central OH
Probably the trim codes for when you install new ones. Sometimes there are two areas on those scanners, the basic OBD2 section shows just general info. Then another section where you enter vehicle specific info and a lot more data will show up

TheBac

Why do I keep doing this?
Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
Moved this into Tool Crib section.

I found and sticky'd the Tech2 thread in here for easier reference.

I also have a chynesium Tech2 and it does everything its supposed to.

Reactions: Dean E