Denso HP4 pump

H2Orat

Nov 25, 2018
Arkansas
Just wondering if anyone has considered the feasibility of installing the new Denso HP4 injection pump in to a LML?

coker6365

Coker6303's ***** Daddy
Dec 4, 2011
What do you want to know about it? Lol. Easiest way is to swap the clam shells and move the bridge closer to the turbo but it would require a 6.5" pedestal or higher. Pump hits the bridge in the normal location. We are playing with some things to see if we can make it work though.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

H2Orat

Nov 25, 2018
Arkansas
Well I don't know a lot about it. I do know they have been swapping out the CP4's with CP3's then was wondering if the new Denso would be a viable candidate? When my warranty is up I'm going to be making some kind of move away from the CP4.

coker6365

Coker6303's ***** Daddy
Dec 4, 2011
At this moment, the Denso pump is not a sensible swap although it can be done.

Bdsankey

Vendor
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 1, 2018
Neenah, Wisconsin
It would be nice though. I think its delivers more fuel stock than a 10mm stroker

You can swap a 10mm stroke for a hell of alot less effort than trying to make the HP4 work. Also, I'm betting there is a difference in the way they are controlled by the ECU so that would be the other hurtle to get over.

coker6365

Coker6303's ***** Daddy
Dec 4, 2011
They are fine. They also developed a regulator that has a better screen to where it traps the debris.

A good lift pump and you’ll be fine.
The updated screen goes from a single layer 80 micron to a dual layer 25 micron. While much better than original, it is still a screen and not a filter. Imagine moving a couch through a doorway... turn it long way and it fits right in despite being substantially larger than the door opening.

I am a firm believer that fuel quality and/or quality kills the CP4. A good lift pump and good filters go a long way to provide clean positive fue flow.

H2Orat

Nov 25, 2018
Arkansas
Just from some pictures I've seen it looks like the roller and piston of the CP4 pump gets turned sideways? I would think the pump could be improved by perhaps slotting the piston and sleeve with an EDM machine then dowel it to the housing. Also TIN coat the roller and cam?

2004LB7

Dec 15, 2010
Norcal
Just from some pictures I've seen it looks like the roller and piston of the CP4 pump gets turned sideways? I would think the pump could be improved by perhaps slotting the piston and sleeve with an EDM machine then dowel it to the housing. Also TIN coat the roller and cam?

I've already done that. No need for a fancy edm machine

See here: http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=466795&page=5

drill and tap a hole on the back of the pump. i used a 10-32
0Bxzw6NebzRUhd2V1eTVxN1RaOUU

this is the hole on the inside of the bore
0Bxzw6NebzRUhLWJ1NVlobWRCVlk

i then cut a slot in the roller follower and ground off the last few threads of a set screw
0Bxzw6NebzRUhNkpxX2RwMHF1U1E

this should keep the roller follower from twisting in the bore and aligned with the cam. it wont prevent the problem of the roller getting jammed up and not turn but should help with one of the problems

I put a couple of thousand miles on it before trading it in. Inspected it just prior and no visible damage or wear

H2Orat

Nov 25, 2018
Arkansas
Yeah, I would think the screw would be soft metal though? How did you cut the slot in the roller follower? Was it hardened?