Question: DEF spilled on fender, permanent damage ?

2012 DMAX

Nov 4, 2012
Southwest IA
Took my 2012 Silverado/Duramax to the dealer's quick lube last Wednesday for service and top-off of DEF fluid. Friday when I went to wash the road grime off I noticed white stuff that looked like battery corrosion on my painted front fender. What the he** !!! I immediately called the dealer and we decided it would be best to bring it in right away, despite a 90 minute drive and special trip by me. There's no doubt what happened: there is a clear trail of white stuff from the fender to the DEF tank.

The service manager said they would take care of it and drove my truck away to wash it off and blow it off with compressed air.

They brought it back about 45 minutes later and it looked good at the time but it was very overcast day. What are the chances of permanent harm or damage ? They said "the clearcoat is pretty tough".

Oct 16, 2008
Idaho
I think you'll be fine. A quick search tells you what's in DEF. It's almost 70% deionized water and the other 30ish% is Urea which is highly water soluble and nearly non-toxic. I would just make sure they logged the incident to cover you in case you have a future issue.

Dirtymaxx03

Aug 4, 2009
I have to fill all 9 of our KW's with def at work all the time. I spill it everywhere on the truck and never noticed any paint damage over the last few years. You're fine

z71havinfun

Mar 6, 2013
ive had drivers put it in the washer fluid tank before and spray it all over the f*ck!n trucks and windshields never hurt it