Deck Plates on a Duramax

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
Ummm, maybe a dumb question, but what is a deck plate? I've never heard of such a thing.

gmac32

Dec 8, 2009
bellville ohio
A deck plate sits on top of the block and is kinda cut out like a headgasket. It is a 3/8" to 2" plate on top of the block and you put sleeves in your engine. What basically allows you to do is have more stroke.

Bryce418

Still slow
Oct 5, 2009
It's a addition to the deck surface of the block then you punch it and sleeve the bores, Then stroke the bejesus out of it. In theory it should be good more some pretty crazy torque in the lower rpm range.

Bryce418

Still slow
Oct 5, 2009
The concept is pretty cool long rods=good rod ratio and add a bunch of stroke at the same time should be wicked once you get it sorted. I would expect it to be awful expensive getting it figured out. Think lots of cam and tune changes and some high dollar components to start with.

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
Sounds interesting. I guess the plate has o-rings between the deck of the block and the plate to seal the oil and coolant passages?

Leadfoot

Needs Bigger Tires!
Dec 27, 2006
Western MA
www.matpa.org
It's a addition to the deck surface of the block then you punch it and sleeve the bores, Then stroke the bejesus out of it. In theory it should be good more some pretty crazy torque in the lower rpm range.

That's one thing these motors don't seem to like (crank or mains).......

It would also necessitate custom intakes or something like the Banks Big Hoss system as the heads will now be higher and further apart.

Bryce418

Still slow
Oct 5, 2009
That's one thing these motors don't seem to like (crank or mains).......

It would also necessitate custom intakes or something like the Banks Big Hoss system as the heads will now be higher and further apart.

Yup it would take some serious coin to just build one. Then you have to get it to live up to its potential!

duramaxsandwich

Mar 30, 2009
yeah dont think im going to be putting deckplates on mine anytime soon. i think the reason for allowing deckplates in our club was to allow a truck from another association to come pull if someone around our area bought one from a different club.

i was hoping some of the builders would chime in but i fear that i have entered secret squirrel land...

Bryce418

Still slow
Oct 5, 2009
i have yet so see any stroked dmax out perform a stock stroke truck.

If someone puts the time and money into making one outperform a stock stroke truck it will happen. It may come at a price that doesn't justify the performance gains but, there is no replacement for displacement.

Dirtymaxx03

Aug 4, 2009
If someone puts the time and money into making one outperform a stock stroke truck it will happen. It may come at a price that doesn't justify the performance gains but, there is no replacement for displacement.

i cant think of one single stroked duramax that makes more power than a truck with a stock stroke. Now factor in the cost and it becomes a real stupid idea.

Bryce418

Still slow
Oct 5, 2009
For all you know there's an untapped 20% torque increase there. I'm sure there are a few that would pay quite a bit for that.

Dirtymaxx03

Aug 4, 2009
For all you know there's an untapped 20% torque increase there. I'm sure there are a few that would pay quite a bit for that.

For all you know there isnt an untapped increase of jackshit there. If there was, believe me we would see alot more stroker trucks beating people up at the track and pullin a sled.

quadracer37

Mar 31, 2009
northern, IL
20% is an awful lot more torque, specially if its hooked up!! For some people money isn't an option in the 3.0 world and I'm sure sooner or later it will happen on a d max, but for now we'll let those people find out if it works or not! :D
I've heard deck plating a cummins is 20-30g, but that's all hearsay.

Bryce418

Still slow
Oct 5, 2009
What I'm saying is nobody has yet spent the time and money to get a working setup. When they do it will work.

It may not make sense to most of us to spend the kind of money it will take. But since when did any of this crap make financial sense?