Decent Sporting Clay Gun?

McRat

Diesel Hotrodder
Aug 2, 2006
Norco CA
www.mcratracing.com
The Benelli autos are inertial blowback with a rotating bolt, so they are simpler and easier to clean than gas-operated autos like 1100's. Yeah, less recoil than a similiar weight pump gun, but not a bunch IMO. And the Benelli's are lighter than most, so you might actually feel more recoil in the Benelli compared to a heavier gun.

There are a few things that affect felt recoil:

Padding - If not so equipped, get a decent gunsmith to install a high-quality recoil pad, and wear a padded hunting vest. This will make the biggest difference IMO, and usually makes an uncomfortable gun pleasant. No, it's not Macho, but it gets the job done.

Weight - More weight, less recoil. You want to see stars? Screw Hollywood Blvd, get an .30-06 in a featherweight configuration with no pad, or fire 3" deer slugs from an unpadded riot gun. Want to a have a great time? Run dove loads in a >8lb shotgun.

Load - More lead, more powder, more recoil. Don't use bigger loads than necessary to get the job done.

Stock design - A gun that doesn't fit you, is going to hurt you.

Action - With this, you need to compare apples to apples. Autos often weigh more than other designs (which is NOT true for Benelli's), so some of the "reduced recoil" is for that reason. Yes, the auto mechanism does absorb some of the recoil, but IMO, it's not very much. I have a Mossberg 835 pump gun and a Benelli SBE, both are 3.5" guns. With max goose loads, they kick about the same. Why? The Mossberg is 1/2 a pound heavier.

BTW - Benelli marketing fibs a little:

Reliable—The Inertia Driven® system never needs adjusting and will cycle anything from light field loads to 3-1/2" magnums with consistent reliability, year, after year, after year. In fact, there are Inertia Driven® Benelli shotguns that have fired over 500,000 rounds, still in the field and functioning perfectly.

BUT... wait a minute. Read the fine print:

Minimum Recommended Load: Use 3-dram, 1-1/8-oz. loads in all Benelli 12-ga. semi-auto shotguns

I think they added that little tidbit after customer complaints.

And this is what I found out. Regardless of their ad brochure at the time, not all 1oz dove loads would cycle 100% of the time. These are typically the "El Cheapo" per case ammo that I'm so fond of. 12ga ammo even goes down to 7/8 oz IIRC, or at least used to.

gr8shot

Practically stock
Apr 28, 2009
Grand Island, NE
Yeah, my father and I load our own ammo. We've done 7/8 oz loads that are only about 1050fps. Thats the creampuff of all loads. haven't found an auto yet that will cycle it, and it won't reset the triggers on some O/U's. But it's about like shooting a .22 rifle lol.

If you ever plan to shoot competetively, most governing bodies have fps limits on each shot load. I know for trap you can only load a 1-1/8oz load max, and max fps is 1250. There's similar fps limits on 1oz and 7/8oz loads. For shooting rocks, you don't need over 1oz. Anything more is overkill and not necessary. With the right choke a 1oz load can be good for 40 yards or so. I've broke 75 straight, and wound up with a 99/100 from the 27 yard line on trap using a 1oz load at 1300fps. Never broke 100 straight from the 27 though :(

If you plan to shoot a lot, buy a re-loader. Great investment, and it'll pay for itself in no time.

I've found that the wad has a HUGE affect on the recoil of a load. We tried our standard 1oz/1400fps load (non-competetion load) with about 10 different brands and styles of wads. There were a couple that had huge recoil, a couple that didn't load worth a damn, no matter how much we varied the seat pressure, and one that was a dream, the remington figure 8 wad. Loads smooth as butter, and greatly reduces the recoil. And it patterns great too.

Like pat said, and I did earlier, weight is imporant. It can be your best friend or your worst enemy. My O/U is a beast. I've never weighed it, but it's HEAVY. It also has a decent recoil pad, but most quality guns will come with a decent one. If you plan to shoot rocks a lot, then get a heavy gun, as the reduced recoil will be woth the weight, and after a few times shooting it you won't notice the weight. If you do a lot of upland hunting and less bluerock shooting, a lighter gun might be better for you.

LT1BRD

sidelines expert
Mar 25, 2009
San Angelo, TX
what kind of powder do you prefer for dove loads?
also, what seat pressure do you usually set it at? the last ones i loaded ended up being hell on my sholder. was using red dot powder...which my be the problem.

SmokeShow

Nov 30, 2006
Lawrenceburg, KY
thanks a lot guys. I'm leaning the way of the O/U I think. I've always wanted one and now might be the time!

I've got a sweet little Fox B 20 ga. SxS that I refinished with the help of my dad back when he was living. It was my first gun. It doesn't have real long barrels but has fairly tight chokes. They are fixed though. :( I was going to take it but didn't realize the tighter chokes would actually be more desirable. Plus I didn't get a chance to go get it - it wasn't at my house.

Real quick aside... since there are obviously some gun folk on here as well. Does anyone know where I can get a custom RIFLE STOCK made? Prefer synthetic but not a necessity. It's for a custom rifle I have that the stock has broken more than once. It's my hunting rifle and is based off of a .308 Arisaka action. Sweet, SWEET shooting little gone and just awesome for whitetail deer hunting! TIA!

gr8shot

Practically stock
Apr 28, 2009
Grand Island, NE
what kind of powder do you prefer for dove loads?
also, what seat pressure do you usually set it at? the last ones i loaded ended up being hell on my sholder. was using red dot powder...which my be the problem.

We use Clays for everything. It's very clean burning, and fast burning too. Red dot was too messy IMO.

I can't remember the seat pressure off the top of my head, but I'd like to think maybe 10-15lbs? With the figure 8 wads, they don't seem to care what pressure we used. They have always just worked great for us no matter what.

Sad too, cuz a good friend of ours owns a company in Hastings NE, (Downrange Mfg.) and he makes shotgun wads. Heck a friend, and a family member of mine both work there. We used to use them exclusivley once he started making them, but the don't load as good, and the recoil is significantly more. As much as we like supporting local business, sore shoulders dictated going back to old faithful figure 8's. Haven't tried out any of the downrange wads for a while, might see what they've got nowdays tough.

Last edited:

JMK777

16's, but i keep em clean
Mar 20, 2008
Moss Beach
I have a benelli,browning gold and beretta. the benelli being recoil driven kicks less than my browning and beretta. when you shoot the benelli the recoil causes the bolt to move instantly using up felt recoil, the browning and beretta being gas driven the bolt stays in battery (locked) after firing for just a moment causing a little more felt recoil. the weight of the benelli is a lot less,fewer parts and no gas system to clean. all 3 guns are great in there own ways but if i could only keep one it would have to be my m2 benelli. I have shot the super black eagle2 benelli the only diff is it can shoot the 3-1/2"mag's and weight is a hair more but if one where just shooting clays it's over kill Iv never had to use a 3-1/2"mag although fun to shoot. I would not let recoil be the deciding factor for a clay gun if just shooting target loads, I shoot those all day long out of my side by side with no problem just a good butt plate.

Last edited:

McRat

Diesel Hotrodder
Aug 2, 2006
Norco CA
www.mcratracing.com
The Benelli stays locked for a brief while as well. If it didn't have those locking lugs up front on the bolt, the shell would go backwards instantly, the cartridge case would split, and probably injure the operator.

This is something to be aware of when you consider converting a semiauto to full auto. Not that I would ever have tried such a thing, but be careful out there... ;)

msjdgman

Jan 13, 2009
SW Michigan
If you look hard and long enough, you can find the Berettas quite reasonably priced. I`ve had my S687L O/U for a little over a year now and I picked it up for $500. The guy needed the cash. My local dealer told me later to insure it for no less than $1500. What a sweet gun. I had used one just like it before for clays and could shoot it all day.