Data Logging Info

IdahoRob

Jun 5, 2007
Here is a little info that may help you with supplying your tuner useful information when sending in a data log. This may help lower the frustration levels of customers as well as tuners.

Example;
The customer email may go something like this; “my truck is running poorly, here is a data log for you to review to fix my tuning” and the attached data log contains 10 minutes of the customer driving down the road.

Problem;
Data logs are just numbers on a computer screen. We cannot hear the engine, see the exhaust smoke, feel lag, gear shifts, defuel, power or lack thereof. EGTs, true boost, drive pressure and lift pump pressure do not show on a data log either.

Solution;
• Create a PID list that covers any possible symptoms that may be causing the issues the customer is experiencing. The standard Duramax/Cummins PID lists are a good place to start.
• Record a short data log, or more, of when the issue is happening. I like to take a note book and take notes on which log duplicated the problem while on the test runs. It is very hard to scroll through a long data log looking for an issue that may not even be happening during the recording.
• Supply a detailed written explanation of the problem in the email. Explain all data like egts, lag, boost, lift pump psi, noise, feel, etc. that cannot be seen on a computer screen.
• Sound clips and videos really help. I understand it is hard to watch gauges, the mirror, and the road all at the time of trying to duplicate a problem so friends and/or cameras come in handy.
• Explaining when the problem started also helps in diagnosis.

Is this a new problem with new tuning?
Was any other thing were done to the truck at time of problem besides tuning?
Is this a new problem with tuning that has been in the truck previously?
Did the problem exist before tuning and tuning didn’t fix?

Data logging is a great tool, but like any tool, there needs to be some knowledge on how to use it. Between detailed info and working together, most issues can be identified but may not be able to be fixed by tuning changes. Unfortunately, tuners do not have a magic wand that can fix mechanical issues. I would so like to remotely fix the flat tire, failed blinker or weak batteries that were blamed on tuning. The data logs can also be reviewed by the end user using EFI Scan Tool.