LBZ: Curt 15302 Install??

SoCalMike

Dec 12, 2010
SoCal
Bringing this back from the dead. Has anyone fit a 285/70/17 spare tire in there with this Curt 15302 hitch. I want to get my spare tire out of the bed and in the stock location. I will be running a 4inch exhaust also if that make a difference.

1FastBrick

Dec 1, 2016
Junkyard
Highly doubt it would fit.

The stock 245/75/16 barely fits as it is. Maybe 1-2 inches from tread to hitch.

And if you have an aftermarket diff cover, It definitely won't fit.

1FastBrick

Dec 1, 2016
Junkyard
I thought I posted in here when I did my install but I guess not. I had to modify my hitch on the passenger side to fit with the banks exhaust on my truck.

I can try and get pictures of the Spare tire in relation to the hitch during the day.

While it's better than the OEM hitch, I had some trouble with mine. Guess it slipped though quality control...

The other thing I don't care for is the Hook mounts in relation to the pin.

Attachments

• 15302 install.jpg
    15302 install.jpg
    121.6 KB · Views: 184
  • 15302 install mod.jpg
    15302 install mod.jpg
    143.9 KB · Views: 47
  • 15302 pin to hook mount.jpg
    15302 pin to hook mount.jpg
    173.2 KB · Views: 47
  • 7 way plug.jpg
    7 way plug.jpg
    31 KB · Views: 176

1FastBrick

Dec 1, 2016
Junkyard
How does this work for you to be able to see clearance?

Attachments

• 20181114_171722.jpg
    20181114_171722.jpg
    181.1 KB · Views: 31
  • 20181114_171921.jpg
    20181114_171921.jpg
    169.5 KB · Views: 29
  • 20181114_171801.jpg
    20181114_171801.jpg
    197.1 KB · Views: 28
  • 20181114_171947.jpg
    20181114_171947.jpg
    194.1 KB · Views: 26
  • 20181114_171833.jpg
    20181114_171833.jpg
    173.1 KB · Views: 27

SoCalMike

Dec 12, 2010
SoCal
Thanks for the help and pictures. Rear end diff cover is stock so that shouldn't be an issue. Between your tire and mine it's about a 2 1/4 difference. So about 1 1/8 inch on each side of your tire. It's going to be super super close it looks like. I have a friend with the same hitch saying it will fit a 285/75/16. So my 285/70/17 will fit..... Hopefully. Lol

I just got a new magnaflow exhaust. Friend also said he has a magnaflow 4 inch exhaust and it fits. Super tight and hard to get the spare in but it fits.

So I went ahead and ordered the hitch and new exhaust. I have an old out dated Curt hitch (15521) that will be taken out. I don't even think you can fit a stock size tire with this hitch. Plan is to remove my mbrp 4 inch dumped exhaust, remove the old hitch, install the new one, install the spare tire winch and spare tire then install the exhaust so I can tweak it around the spare tire and hitch. Good luck to me. Haha

Thank you for the help I really appreciate it. I will let you guys know how it turns out this weekend.

SoCalMike

Dec 12, 2010
SoCal
I thought I posted in here when I did my install but I guess not. I had to modify my hitch on the passenger side to fit with the banks exhaust on my truck.

I can try and get pictures of the Spare tire in relation to the hitch during the day.

While it's better than the OEM hitch, I had some trouble with mine. Guess it slipped though quality control...

The other thing I don't care for is the Hook mounts in relation to the pin.
Again thank you for all your help. I really appreciate it. My trailer plug looks like the same as yours, mounted exactly where your is. I'm crossing my fingers everything I bought works together. I have a feeling most of it will. From the pictures it looks like it should barley fit the spare tire. I see what you mean about the hole for the pin. Again I will report back after I install everything. Good or bad you will hear back from me.

1FastBrick

Dec 1, 2016
Junkyard
Again thank you for all your help. I really appreciate it. My trailer plug looks like the same as yours, mounted exactly where your is. I'm crossing my fingers everything I bought works together. I have a feeling most of it will. From the pictures it looks like it should barley fit the spare tire. I see what you mean about the hole for the pin. Again I will report back after I install everything. Good or bad you will hear back from me.

FYI, The batch my hitch came from, The person running the laser didn't check there offset on the hole size. The Slots for the bolts where undersized. What should have been 1 hr at best to remove and replace took me all day.

Hope you have better luck. :thumb:

SoCalMike

Dec 12, 2010
SoCal
I was able to make the hitch work with the 285/70/17 spare tire. The tire is up against the hitch and very close to the rear differential. But everything works as of now. I ended up using a latching strap on the driver's side to pull the tire away from the exhaust to give me even more room away from the exhaust pipe. I have driven about a couple hundred miles and everything is still good.

On a side note, the magnaflow exhaust I got to go with this set-up is not good. The first part of the instructions say to cut off a certain amount of pipe depending on what truck and configuration you have. Well it is completely wrong. I even called magnaflow and asked for direction because what the directions say to cut and what I am seeing are completely different. All they could say was cut off what we said in the directions and it's better to cut off less than cut off too much. After going back and forth for about 10 minutes and not going anywhere he told me to install it backwards working from the back of the truck to the front. To top it off he acted like I didn't know what I was doing and when I kept proving him wrong that's when he said to install it backwards, basically don't follow the instructions.

After about 6 to 7 hrs of messing around with it to get it to work, the tail pipe sections are not made right. The tail pipe either sits right under the overload leaf spring with about 2 or 3 inches of clearance making it hit each other when the suspension travels or I move it so it kinda clears but not the exhaust pipe is right up against the passanger shock and the tail pipe is up against the rear fender. I modified and cut off a little of the tow hitch corner to see if that helps and it doesn't. Even with the tire and hitch not there it still doesn't work. I ended up having to dump the exhaust right after it goes over the Axel to make everything work.

Magnaflow will not give me some money back or help me since I modified the exhaust pipe to make it fit even though I called for help and did what the technician and instructions said to do. This is the second magnaflow exhaust I have had and both of them did not fit good or correctly. For some reason I always associate magnaflow and quality together and that is not the case in my experience. I bout the exhaust kit from etrailer and they tried to help buy magnaflow is not willing to budge. The kit was shipped directly to me from magnaflow. I paid hundreds of dollars for something and it doesn't completely work like it should.

As of now I will not be buying any magnaflow products. Mbrp exhaust kits have always worked good for me so I will be sticking with them going forward.

Sorry to go off on a side note but i wanted to share my experience with magnaflow and hope I can help anyone else to avoid this.