Cranks for 2 seconds and then quits

Graden56

Feb 2, 2022
Started with injector 8 stuck wide open and needing replaced, I just had a failure on injector 5 and had all passenger side injectors replaced by a shop and it ran fine after that. I knew the others on the drivers side were close too, so i replaced injector's 2,4,6, and 8 by myself and seemingly did everything correctly. So I go to start the truck and the dash and my Edge screen come on and it will turn over for like 2 seconds and even with the key still forward it stops turning over. I have a check engine light that I did not have before and haven't got to read them yet. Anybody have any ideas on whats wrong? I basically haven't had a truck since October and I hate to just trade it in for another one.

ZeroGravity58

Mar 23, 2008
Maryland
First thing is to always pull the codes. It sounds like you miss a plug or bent some pins in the bail connectors.

Graden56

Feb 2, 2022
First thing is to always pull the codes. It sounds like you miss a plug or bent some pins in the bail connectors.
Okay I know someone with a tool to read the codes and I'll see what they say. I already check for bent pins on the connectors but I will check again it doesn't seem to want to lock all the way. I also wasn't able to reconnect 6 and 8's glow plug wire due to the threads breaking off not sure if that matters, the only other thing I am not sure about is these injectors are Bosch remans, do I have to program the injectors? I have heard of re-programming the flow rate of new injectors but not sure if I had to for stock replacement.

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
I've seen that happen with cam/crank sensor problems before.

Graden56

Feb 2, 2022
Your Edge doesn't read codes? I thought all of hem did.
Yea it does but I didn't think it would show me unless it was running, when the ignition is on the screen comes on but tells me it can't talk to juice module and to check OBD II port, but I could have sworn that's what it did before.

TheBac

Why do I keep doing this?
Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
Does it do the same when the Edge is removed? You said the bale plugs do not want to lock down. There is a bent pin(s) causing that.

Graden56

Feb 2, 2022
Does it do the same when the Edge is removed? You said the bale plugs do not want to lock down. There is a bent pin(s) causing that.
Yes it does the same thing, I will check again for bent pins, do these Bosch re-mans need programmed or flashed to my ECM?

Bdsankey

Vendor
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 1, 2018
Neenah, Wisconsin
Other than bale connector or crank sensor don't know what it could be I desperately need it fixed.
Have you 100% removed the edge juice that is inline with the bale connectors? If the bale connectors DO NOT latch that needs to be remedied before anything else.

Graden56

Feb 2, 2022
Have you 100% removed the edge juice that is inline with the bale connectors? If the bale connectors DO NOT latch that needs to be remedied before anything else.
Sorry took so long finally got it to turn over and start, looks like my injector install was successful but I unfortunately am stuck with the very original problem that made me replace the injectors, the truck runs and everything works fine except you can tell that something is off and the balance rates show injector 8 at 15 which is what I had before, anybody know what could cause this?

2004LB7

Dec 15, 2010
Norcal
have you ice picked the injector harness pigtails yet? or installed the new longer ones?

Graden56

Feb 2, 2022
have you ice picked the injector harness pigtails yet? or installed the new longer ones?
Yes I unplugged the injector harness plug from the injector and used a test light and it lit up blinking with a dim light (3.3v to 6v). Thinking about trying the same thing with a multimeter or at the ficm for that injector. Not sure what to do but all I know is this truck is getting sold or traded fast been without a truck for so long, it smooths out when you drive it so I'm not sure.

2004LB7

Dec 15, 2010
Norcal
Yes I unplugged the injector harness plug from the injector and used a test light and it lit up blinking with a dim light (3.3v to 6v). Thinking about trying the same thing with a multimeter or at the ficm for that injector. Not sure what to do but all I know is this truck is getting sold or traded fast been without a truck for so long, it smooths out when you drive it so I'm not sure.
that's not the ice pick mod. look it up. may just take care of the issue. if not it doesn't hurt either

Graden56

Feb 2, 2022
Oh I see, well I broke the connector a little when I removed them for injector install and already bought and planned on replacing the connector wouldn't that be better?

2004LB7

Dec 15, 2010
Norcal
Oh I see, well I broke the connector a little when I removed them for injector install and already bought and planned on replacing the connector wouldn't that be better?
in theory yes. but they are the same design that could still create a loose connection. but installed with more slack and less strain on the connector it should last much longer

Graden56

Feb 2, 2022
in theory yes. but they are the same design that could still create a loose connection. but installed with more slack and less strain on the connector it should last much longer
So putting a new connector on did not fix the problem what would cause an injector balance rate to stay at 15?