Crank hardening

ikeG

Oughta Know Better
Apr 19, 2011
Western PA
www.facebook.com
Had a crank ground that I had laying here that had spun bearings. Its done at machine shop but I am now getting mixed reviews on whether it should be hardened or not. Anyone have experience with hardening or running without? Plan was to have a spare block and crank ready in case of failure in pull truck. So in one breath i figure to not worry about it but i also figure if i have a use for a spare i would need it to last a little while.

c20elephant

C20ELEPHANT
Apr 25, 2013
Phoenix, Arizona
Page 8 the author states.

The downside is that the affected area is very shallow and ANY undersize grinding will require​
the crankshaft to be re-nitride treated. This is NOT an option: if the crankshaft is not re-treated it​
will fail 100% of the time. There are even those of the opinion that too heavy of a polish will​
give you an issue as well, so the handling of these crankshafts with the utmost care is critical.

http://www.sbintl.com/tech_library/articles/rebuilding_the_6.6L_duramax_diesel.pdf

PureHybrid

Isuzu Shakes IT
Feb 15, 2012
Central OH
Not sure what process (if any) gm uses on the dmax crank, but I would have it nitrided. Might help tighten up clearances if need be. Gm nitrided quite a few cranks on the SBC platform.

ikeG

Oughta Know Better
Apr 19, 2011
Western PA
www.facebook.com
Machine shop we now use says that he wouldnt be concerned about the hardening being affected due to grinding. The hardening would have penetrated much deeper than grinding .010" off which is the biggest bearing you can purchase for a duramax. IIRC

PureHybrid

Isuzu Shakes IT
Feb 15, 2012
Central OH
Not sure what process other places use, but when we nitride cylinders its for 8-12hrs depending on how many are loaded in the machine and vessel temps reach 1000°F. IMO it does more than treat the surface, but if we bore a cylinder because of an assembly issue, it gets rerun through nitride process.