Cracked rear trans housing

Parker

Wrench turner
Sep 23, 2011
Claremore OK
I've got a 2001 2500HD 4X4 and the rear trans case is cracked in front of where the transfer case is mounted. Has any one had this problem? I'm wanting to just replace the rear half of the case since my internals all are good. what can be done to prevent this from happening again, since it seems that the transfer case is lacking some support. I have seen that there is a support out there for the Allison but not the ZF6. I might make a support coming off the crossmember to support the tail shaft if there isn't one offered.

THEREDDEVIL

A Bad seed
Jul 28, 2010
Godfrey, il
Do some research on the merchant brace. It's pretty stout. Not sure if the mounting bolts r the same for the zf6 though. They should b able to tell u.

Parker

Wrench turner
Sep 23, 2011
Claremore OK
I got a case through my stealership it was about $660.00. I just now need to get a clutch. the case should be in around next Tuesday. Whats everyone's take on a southbend?

dansdieselp

Diesel Tuner
Apr 3, 2009
Marengo, IL
$360 from gmpartsdirect.com We had one that the fly wheel broke and through the transfer case off after braking the tail housing off. Just ordered a case up and it was here in a few days. Not too hard to replace. We put a dual disk Valair in it. One suggestion I have is before you bolt the trans up, connect the hyd. hose and stroke the throw out bearing a few times. That will help purge the air from the system a lot faster than pumping the pedal for an hour.

Parker

Wrench turner
Sep 23, 2011
Claremore OK
The u joints are getting replaced, but were in good condition when I pulled the drive line. I have had a few parts delays and haven't got the clutch installed I got injured at work Monday and can't quite tackle the clutch. The bad thing is it's the only thing I lack Transmission is on the jack and ready to go. I think Dad is going to help me out with the flywheel and stabbing the Tranny I can wrench with my left hand but not use my right too well. I'm Glad I still have my old faithful Z-71 it's been one heck of a truck till the farm out grew it, but makes a great back up.

Parker

Wrench turner
Sep 23, 2011
Claremore OK
Well my hand completely jacked me up and I ended up taking the truck to a good trusted mechanic to finish the job he charged me $300 to finish up. I picked the truck up and made it 9 miles and the valero branded valair clutch disc exploded I winched the truck up on my trailer and took it back valair sent me a damaged disc thought may I'd just get it recovered in Kevlar only to find out I'd be better off getting a different clutch that my local clutch builder had stared to handle and that replacement parts are fun to find for valero. A couple hours later and my truck is back on the road backed by a local person I can go see in person when something goes wrong. so I'm out the cost of the clutch and trans removal once and installation twice. I mean valair's customer service is great but I'm not quite happy with the clutch kit they sent me. and will see if I can get them to take their clutch kit back. has any one else had this type of problems?