LB7: Cracked piston?

Builtlngbd

Aug 24, 2009
i would take it back to the dealer. if it wer me. Dnt let them walk on you. sounds like they screwed up and are trying to cover it.

djms

Dec 25, 2006
Houston tx area
I've already got the front clip off and the trans unbolted. I've been on
the dealers case about the truck and it don't do no good, plus they know that I Sled pull drag race and so on. But anyway taking the motor out still
looks intimidating to me with all those wires and hose but I am hoping to have it out by this evening.

Last edited:

redws6rocket

Apr 22, 2007
Odessa, MO
I would really question the work of the dealer on this one. Lb7 rarly crack pistons. I beleive it is a mistake on there part and that they should at least try a work somthing out with you to fix your truck. Good luck.
i have seen one at work, a hot shotter that just kept driving the truck with the injectors out of it. it does sound odd that it happened right after you got the truck back.

djms

Dec 25, 2006
Houston tx area
Well I got the head off and my number 6 piston is cracked. I sure hope I can put everything back together. I hope to get parts here by first of next week.

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
Well I got the head off and my number 6 piston is cracked. I sure hope I can put everything back together. I hope to get parts here by first of next week.
How does the cylinder look? Sometimes the steel insert will scratch the cylinder wall when a piston cracks.

RENODMAX

Dead Wrong
Mar 4, 2008
I would really question the work of the dealer on this one. Lb7 rarly crack pistons. I beleive it is a mistake on there part and that they should at least try a work somthing out with you to fix your truck. Good luck.

LB7s have been cracking pistons for a long time...

djms

Dec 25, 2006
Houston tx area
The cylinder wall actually looks good, no visible damage anyhow. Can I buy just the gaskets that I need or do I have to buy a kit?

SHOTZY

<"Whats next??"
Aug 27, 2008
melbourne, fl
Sorry to here this bro. I took a lot of pics! I mean a lot. It really did help. I also bagged and tagged every nut and bolt. Not a bad idea to go to eauto repair.com and download the factory service manual for 16 bucks either.:D I replaced my piston, rings, wrist pin, and clips in #3. The cylinder was scored slightly but it cleaned up with a hone. I also had all of my pistons cut. (delipped) This is a good idea at this point. You can buy gaskets seperately also. Good luck man.

djms

Dec 25, 2006
Houston tx area
Hey guys what size are the flywheel bolts? And what are the torque specs for the head bolts? Thanks

Last edited:

Bluemax

???????????
Sep 25, 2006
Missouri
Flywheel bolts are a 14 mm allen head.

And they are TIGHT!!!
I'm pretty sure the torque on these is 56lbs + 60deg + 60deg
It winds up being around 320ft lbs

But why are you going to take the flywheel off or did I miss that part of the thread?

djms

Dec 25, 2006
Houston tx area
It looks like I need to remove it to get to the t
wo bolts behind it that are holding the upper part of the oil pan on. Or am i missing something?

Last edited: