LMM: Cracked dash

SmokeShow

Nov 30, 2006
Lawrenceburg, KY
It wouldn't be easy (because the dash has to come out) and surely not cheap (just an assumption) but I wonder if a person went through all the trouble of removing the dash, could a fella take it to an upholster shop and have them "glue repair" or "plastic weld" the cracks then put a thin foam over the dash then wrap with a stitched vinyl/leather?

IMO, those interiors could use a nice touch like a leather-wrapped dash anyway :coolspot: and that could kill two birds with one stone? Just a thought. :thumb:

SmokeShow

Nov 30, 2006
Lawrenceburg, KY
I'd like to think if a new dash is $500, surely it ain't any or much more than that to repair the cracks (DIY with epoxy or other means of "plastic welding") and then pay a shop to cover it? You doing the repair and R&R. Just a thought.

Or continue looking at the cracks for free. :D

BlkSS

Nov 22, 2016
SW KS
As mentioned before, this is very common on the 900 series trucks. My old 2010 I replaced at 28,000 miles and my 2011 Tahoe was replaced at 34k miles. GM blames it on the cleaners/protectors. I personally believe it's a combination of cheap materials and the cleaners combine with the stress points. My dads 2010 didn't crack until about 110K miles and that was after he started using cleaners.

Replacing the dash pads aren't hard at all. I've done both the LT & LTZ dashes a handful of times. Common hand tools is all that is needed. A couple of hours is all it takes if you're familiar with how things typically come out.

First time if you're not familiar would probably be a half day project or little more.

If you're looking for the dash pads, there are different part numbers on at least the LTZ style dash for the 2007-2011 and the 2012-2014. They will work in all years. The difference is back behind the radio as the navigation radio connectors changed when they went to the hard drive based navigations in 2012. If you put a 07-11 pad in a 12-14 with the new nav, you'd just need to cut a little but the cutting won't be visible as it's behind the radio.

They do sell covers that glue on top of the dash but I've never tried them. If you look, you can find deals. I don't have a go-to spot for them but the last time I replaced one which was the summer of 2018, I got a new OEM dash for around $370.

Dozerboy

Jun 23, 2009
TX of course
Mine is still pretty new but what should I do to avoid it? it's the first thing I would see inside :(

Nothing short of pulling the dash out and seeing if you can make it fit so it isn’t binding and breaking.

My wife’s Tahoe broke the first time when it was only 1 year old. It broke again after being replaced a few years later. Her Tahoe is in the garage or has a sun shade up if parked outside. I enjoy detailed vehicle so it’s always had a quality UV protectant on it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk