CP4 to CP3 Conversion or Fass/Airdog

TLyons90

Apr 22, 2013
Greenville, SC
So I just picked up my 2011 LML a few weeks ago. Absolutely LOVE the truck but beyond nervous of the CP4 and all the horror stories I hear about them and wiping out the entire fuel system.

My main question is, besides the obvious of a CP3 conversion and Fass/Airdog together, am I better off doing the CP3 conversion and running her hard for a little while and then getting a Fass/Airdog eventually or would running a Fass/Airdog along side the CP4 and running her hard be ok?

I figure my 2nd option is going to be like playing the lotto, but really wanting to know who all has been effected by the CP4 ordeal and who is running them hard and not having any issues? :thumb:

duramaxzak

Wanna be puller!
Nov 22, 2008
Minnesota
I bought my 11' new and now has 75k miles on it with no CP4 issues. It's been deleted for about the last 8k miles, no lift pump. I am also nervous about the CP4 self destructing itself!!!

kiwilml

Nov 4, 2015
I ran mine fairly hard for 115k miles and no issues but I did run a fass for 3/4 of the time.. My brother has maybe 70k on his 14 with no issues but them may be better than our older ones.. Anyway, if you run a lift pump I wouldn't be as scared to run the cp4.. I've heard that water and junk in the fuel is what takes the pumps out so making sure your fuel is clean would surely help..

But running a cp3 without a lift pump shouldn't be a problem either.. As long as you don't drop rail pressure seems like it'd be fine..?

TLyons90

Apr 22, 2013
Greenville, SC
I bought my 11' new and now has 75k miles on it with no CP4 issues. It's been deleted for about the last 8k miles, no lift pump. I am also nervous about the CP4 self destructing itself!!!

Good to know and best of luck it staying perfectly fine!

I ran mine fairly hard for 115k miles and no issues but I did run a fass for 3/4 of the time.. My brother has maybe 70k on his 14 with no issues but them may be better than our older ones.. Anyway, if you run a lift pump I wouldn't be as scared to run the cp4.. I've heard that water and junk in the fuel is what takes the pumps out so making sure your fuel is clean would surely help..

But running a cp3 without a lift pump shouldn't be a problem either.. As long as you don't drop rail pressure seems like it'd be fine..?

Good to know as well! I'm definitely thinking a lift pump should be in my future before anything else major. I'm starting to run a lot more fuel additives, especially with water prevention in them as well as always making sure I'm at a reliable fuel station!

A. Stock Lbz

Aug 13, 2013
spokane wa
My 11 lml has had the fuel system replaced twice under warranty both times for cp4 failures. Hopefully the third time is the charm with this one.

LML Cajun

Nov 7, 2015
Opelousas, La
Ran my 2011 130,000 miles before doing the CP3 swap with no problems at all. Truck has been deleted since 75,000 mi and now at about 165,000 mi. No problems before or after with anything. Run Stanadyne Performance in EVERY TANK. Raycor filter under the hood and Baldwin on the Air Dog!! Guess I'm one of the lucky ones!:D

TLyons90

Apr 22, 2013
Greenville, SC
My 11 lml has had the fuel system replaced twice under warranty both times for cp4 failures. Hopefully the third time is the charm with this one.

Eek! Horrible luck :/ hopefully like you said tho this 3rd time is a charm! Could be based on where you live and the fuel stations you have where you live to tho...

Ran my 2011 130,000 miles before doing the CP3 swap with no problems at all. Truck has been deleted since 75,000 mi and now at about 165,000 mi. No problems before or after with anything. Run Stanadyne Performance in EVERY TANK. Raycor filter under the hood and Baldwin on the Air Dog!! Guess I'm one of the lucky ones!:D

I have started using the same stuff since I bought mine as well and plan to continue! I'm just a tad worried if I start racing and running a bug tune.

delong_1

<< my work
Dec 5, 2008
Arvada, CO
I did a fass and added a cp3. Kept the cp4 in the valley for now, parts were more readily available to just add another pump. Seems if you keep good supply pressure and don't tax them they will last longer.

TLyons90

Apr 22, 2013
Greenville, SC
I'm glad you're back Troy. I suppose you replaced your LMM with a LML? I hope this one is as nice as it was.

Thank you sir! And yessir, got married, bought a house, have a kid on the way, and decided to go with a more family oriented vehicle a LML :thumb:

I did a fass and added a cp3. Kept the cp4 in the valley for now, parts were more readily available to just add another pump. Seems if you keep good supply pressure and don't tax them they will last longer.

Not a bad idea either. My thoughts exactly were great filtration and constant pressure and the Cp4 would be fine.

Troysalm71

Feb 28, 2016
Bemidji, MN
Cp4

I just figured I'd mention I had a cp4 with a fass 260 found out when I installed my gauges I was running 30 psi fuel pressure an the cp4 was taking it just fine but when I did convert to a cp3 I noticed the power difference for sure.

Tothemax

xgmtech
Oct 16, 2014
new york
To anyone who looses a cp4 and kills the fuel system I have 2 complete fuel systems from 2012 lml's with 20k miles on each. If interested pm me thanks

tbelue

Apr 8, 2016
Alabama
I just finished my CP3 conversion by Industrial injection and it seems to be great. No tune and no codes. I will post follow up as the miles go up.