CP4 Disasterz

ikeG

Oughta Know Better
Apr 19, 2011
Western PA
www.facebook.com
Show of hands, how many have found debris anywhere except fca cavity? In the rails, injectors or tank? Anyone? I don't think I have yet......

Sent from my SM-G990U2 using Tapatalk

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
I've seen plenty with junk in regulator 2 on the driver side rail and bad injectors from metal going through them.

Reactions: juddski88

1FastBrick

Dec 1, 2016
Junkyard
I've seen plenty with junk in regulator 2 on the driver side rail and bad injectors from metal going through them.
I am just curious, When this occurs do you have to replace the Rail's or only the lines, injectors, and other effected parts? I have never had one apart so I don't know if you can simply clean the rail's or not.

2004LB7

Dec 15, 2010
Norcal
Not quite the same but on my previous Jetta, I had a CP4 go bad and it contaminated the injectors, pressure regulator, filter housing. Was able to clean it up but had to replace two injectors because I couldn't get them to run right even after disassembly and cleaning.

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
I am just curious, When this occurs do you have to replace the Rail's or only the lines, injectors, and other effected parts? I have never had one apart so I don't know if you can simply clean the rail's or not.
When we have one come in the shop with a failure, we replace everything because I don't want a customer having another failure down the road because we cut corners. I'm sure most of the time you can get by with replacing the pump and cleaning everything out, but it isn't worth the risk of leaving someone stranded or upset that things weren't fixed right the first time if it doesn't work out.

Reactions: juddski88

1FastBrick

Dec 1, 2016
Junkyard
When we have one come in the shop with a failure, we replace everything because I don't want a customer having another failure down the road because we cut corners. I'm sure most of the time you can get by with replacing the pump and cleaning everything out, but it isn't worth the risk of leaving someone stranded or upset that things weren't fixed right the first time if it doesn't work out.
Yeah, That makes sense. I just wasn't sure if the rail was easy to clean or what.

I know I was told the feed Line can have sealing issue's as well as when you get a failure the line could rupture later on or the shrapnel could embed it self in the line. I am told it's like a Shot gun blast in the high pressure fuel side when a CP4 failure occurs.

Either way it's obvious you wouldn't want to be left stranded on the side of the road because you didn't replace 1 potentially contaminated piece.

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
Only seen two die. I’ve seen one like Josh has seen and other the pump was just starting to fail and metal was just in the pump

Never looked in the tank though.