LBZ: CP3 Question

Duramax 6.6L

Nov 23, 2006
Esperance, NY
How much HP will a single stock CP3 pump handle on a 2007 Duramax.

I keep throwing a low fuel pressure code and putting the truck into limp mode. Approx 550 HP tune.

TrentNell

Finally underway !!!!!
Jul 7, 2008
slc tuah
NO I have been looking at them, can't decide which one to buy.

Which pump is recomended?

get a lift pump and you should be good on that tune , alot of guys like the air dog ,the kennedy's are the quietest .... i run the fass 150 ... the ppe is about the best bang for the buck . most will hold the rail pressure up just preference in brand and price ect .

othrgrl

Diesel Addiction Owner
Mar 10, 2008
Wilmington NC
www.mydieseladdiction.com
I've also had great luck with many AirDogs and like the filter and air and water seperators.

BTW who's "Approx 550 HP" are you refering to?

We've gone 12.9s on a bone stock fuel system on an LBZ and 12.4s with an AirDog and shimmed FPRV. With the AirDog and shimmed FPRV it made over 530rwhp on a dynojet, calculating from the weight and ET give you about 540hp so pretty close to what the dyno shows. Calculating off the weight and ET of the 12.9 runs gives you just shy of 500hp, the FPRV popped open on the 12.95 pass and just shimming it would have helped. So I say that 500hp is possible on a bone stock LBZ fuel system, and 540+ (on a stock charger, even more with turbo and/or N20) with a lift pump and shim.

tinman22

Feb 17, 2007
Stillwater NJ
I made 509 on wendys tune in my lbz without the lift pump. the dyno pull was ok but at the track I would get low fuel pressure code. lift pump fixed that problem and took atleast 3 tenths minimum off my track times

x MadMAX DIESEL

<<<< No Horsepower
Dec 30, 2008
Lexington, Ky
many people will tell you to get an airdog, i myself was planning on one even before i owned the truck.. but now im leaning more to the mitusa belt driven pump.... just a personnal choice, look into one i know theres a couple people on this board that use a belt driven pump hopefully theyll chime in

Mar 25, 2008
Whitehorse Yukon
I am partial to a fuel pump system with an aux filtration seeings how the stock filter is only a 10 micron. The more filtration the better in my eyes as it will prolong the life of the fuel system.

Duramax 6.6L

Nov 23, 2006
Esperance, NY
What type of fuel pressure is everyone seeing with either the FASS or AirDog lift pumps.

I was a the track this weekend running the truck and tuning. I saw three Airdogs that would not hold any pressure. They would show about 16 psi idling and as soon as the rpms were brought up, the pressure would start dropping to about 1 psi. This was done sitting still in neutral.

I did not get a chance to get a look at a FASS pump.

Please post your pressures if you can. I am trying to pick a pump, I will install two of the if needed.

Duramax 6.6L

Nov 23, 2006
Esperance, NY
What type of fuel pressure is everyone seeing with either the FASS or AirDog lift pumps.

I was a the track this weekend running the truck and tuning. I saw three Airdogs that would not hold any pressure. They would show about 16 psi idling and as soon as the rpms were brought up, the pressure would start dropping to about 1 psi. This was done sitting still in neutral.

I did not get a chance to get a look at a FASS pump.

Please post your pressures if you can. I am trying to pick a pump, I will install two of the if needed.

Does anyone actually know how the air is removed from the fuel with either one of the pump and filter assemblies.

Duramax 6.6L

Nov 23, 2006
Esperance, NY
How much hp can a single cp3 mak with a lift pump?

I was hoping some one would say, I am at the bottle neck of needing a lift pump. After what I saw a the track, I am thinking of installing two of them side by side. Separate pickups and then merging into one line after the pumps.

Also contemplating purchasing a stroked cp3 pump. I would like to stay looking as stock as possible.

Last edited:

TrentNell

Finally underway !!!!!
Jul 7, 2008
slc tuah
I was hoping some one would say, I am at the bottle neck of needing a lift pump. After what I saw a the track, I am thinking of installing two of them side by side. Separate pickups and then merging into one line after the pumps.

Also contemplating purchasing a stroked cp3 pump. I would like to stay looking as stock as possible.

i just ran a 12.03 on a stock fuel system, good tunning, and a fass lift pump ,and can name 4 others in the high 11's . dont get caught up on what you seen at the track , do a standard lift pump install . any other rail pressure needs need to be adressed in the cp3 deptartment , either dual cp3's or stroker . a single cp3/ lift pump has enough fuel to blow your motor period . if you are looking for the most high performance lift pump it is the Mitusa .