Cooling question

Dee Perry

Jun 25, 2013
What is the plastic shield under the cooling stack with the ribs in it? Does it have anything to do with cooling or just air flow? I just installed an lly in my 03 and believe it or not somehow I lost it and just wondering how important it is. Lol

Dee Perry

Jun 25, 2013
Not sure, like I sad I misplaced mine. Didnt even know I had lost it until today I crawled under a friends lly looking for a leak and noticed his.

Hot COCOAL

May the farce be with you
Jun 9, 2012
The shroud just forces air into the proper place, it keeps the air that gets sucked in through the bumper vents from just escaping under the truck, and forces to the coolant stack, I think it's a pretty important piece, but I could be wrong...

And yes, it should say diesel.

dmaxman06

May 25, 2011
morenci az
i have pulled all mine on all the trucks and doesent hurt it but i dont tow much and when i do it useally a car or truck so its nouthing heavy

Dee Perry

Jun 25, 2013
Yea just walked out and looked at my friends and it does say Diesel, makes sense that it keeps air up where it needs to be. I am not overheating at all but notice that the clutch fan kicks in ALOT more than the old lb7 did.

DAVe3283

Heavy & Slow
Sep 3, 2009
Boise, ID, USA
I always thought that piece was to help push brush down onto the skid plate so you don't always wedge the sage brush into the poor truck. Probably doesn't hurt the cooling either, though.

If you don't off-road much, you might try running without it and see if it gets hot.

Cknight199

Aug 23, 2012
Salt Lake City, Utah
I personally don't like the skid plates, they seem to be in the way more often then not when working underneath. BUT, since working on newer small vehicles, our trucks are way easier to access than new "aerodynamic" sedans that have the entire underneath sealed. If you drop a bolt you have to remove the whole plastic skid plate to find it rather than it just dropping to the floor :(